What's new

9db upgrade antennas on ebay - worth it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HI,
Gain figure may be higher but certainly it won't have same vertical/horizontal radiation pattern/angle, SWR figure. Result unknown until you try it out.

Ant-157

I was shocked how this directional antenna improved the 2ghz and 5ghz performance of my RT-AC66U. I replaced the center omni-directional antenna with the ANT-157 and it filled in all the weak and dead spots on all three floors of my home. The router is installed on the middle floor at one end of my house, so a directional antenna works great for my application. This is certainly a better solution than installing a repeater on the other side of the house.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UBNJ48/?tag=snbforums-20

Could you not specify figures regarding signal strength before and after
you replaced the antenna ?

QUOTE=Rockl;59723]I was shocked how this directional antenna improved the 2ghz and 5ghz performance of my RT-AC66U. I replaced the center omni-directional antenna with the ANT-157 and it filled in all the weak and dead spots on all three floors of my home. The router is installed on the middle floor at one end of my house, so a directional antenna works great for my application. This is certainly a better solution than installing a repeater on the other side of the house.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UBNJ48/?tag=snbforums-20[/QUOTE]

I have replaced the antennas on my AC66U with these ones and can see a gain of about 6 dbm on the 5 GHz band but on the 2.4 GHz band it is a weaker signal of about 8 dbm. It certainly catches eyes as these antennas are much longer than the standard ones.

Prolly help with distance, but signal strength too? Here's the link.

I was shocked how this directional antenna improved the 2ghz and 5ghz performance of my RT-AC66U. I replaced the center omni-directional antenna with the ANT-157 and it filled in all the weak and dead spots on all three floors of my home. The router is installed on the middle floor at one end of my house, so a directional antenna works great for my application. This is certainly a better solution than installing a repeater on the other side of the house.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UBNJ48/?tag=snbforums-20

Has anyone managed to buy this antenna in EU?

I have replaced the antennas on my AC66U with these ones and can see a gain of about 6 dbm on the 5 GHz band but on the 2.4 GHz band it is a weaker signal of about 8 dbm. It certainly catches eyes as these antennas are much longer than the standard ones.
Here's a perhaps relevent quote from the ubove linked SNB article regarding this,

"Radiation Pattern

This factor is as important as gain in determining whether a specific antenna is right for you. It determines the directivity or coverage area of the antenna, and if chosen incorrectly can make your wireless connection worse!"

Actually I wanted to test if I would get a stable connection to the 5 Ghz band with my laptop 2 meters away from the AC66U or not. Theory is one thing , real testing is another more practical way to see how things will work. As it turned up the connection did not improve in stability at all on the 5 GHz band.

Here's a perhaps relevent quote from the ubove linked SNB article regarding this,

"Radiation Pattern

This factor is as important as gain in determining whether a specific antenna is right for you. It determines the directivity or coverage area of the antenna, and if chosen incorrectly can make your wireless connection worse!"

I tried the "Asus" 9db dual band antennas that amazon sells. No markings of Asus on them anywhere.

I sent them back, Did not make any difference at all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!