What's new

a little confused about backup methods

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rhodesengr

Occasional Visitor
So a while back I bought a Synology 212j to replace my WD Worldbook which I use for two things: backup destination for my windows 7 desktop and media server to stream movies to WDTV boxes in my house. I didn't get around to setting up the 212j until yesterday. It came with DSM 4. During setup, I saw it came with Data Replicator 3 as a backup application so I got that running. It seemed to be what I expected for a backup app. i was able to select just the things I wanted to back up from one internal and one external HD and everything went into one folder on the 212j.

So then I noticed that my DSM was outdated so I went through a series of updates to bring it up to 5.2. Data Replicator was then no longer in the list of offered apps. The help page seemed to suggesting I use Cloudstation to do backups. I got that running but its not really what I expected for a backup app. Seems you can only "synch" one local folder to one folder on the 212j. You can't add multiple source folders to a single backup folder on the NAS. Once you set up a synch task you can go back and add or delete folders to be incldued in the backup. So it seems you end up with several folders on the NAS instead of just one "backup"folder that has everything i want to back up.

There are other apps listed in the "package center" for back up like Time Backup, Glacier Backup, and a couple more but they don't have any descriptions I can read to see what they do and after a little googling, it seems they are not intended for PC to NAS backup.

So options:
Data Rep 3 is still on my machine but I haven't tried it since updating to DSM5.2
Memeo is still on my machine from my Worldbook but not active now
I could keep using Cloudstation and just deal with needing multiple directories on the NAS
Buy something else or get some other freeware thing
Use Windows backup

Just not sure what is the best route these days. I liked the "Instant" backup aspect of Memeo and I guess Cloudstation does do that.

Anyway, I could use some guidance.

As I recall, they changed the name of Data Replicator - an app for PCs to backup to the NAS. Runs on PC.
To do that, I use Acronis True Image on the PCs and image the whole PC drive (incrementals so first image is big/slow, others not slow).
I also run, on PCs, Centered Systems' Second Copy - low cost, excellent, intuitive. PC to NAS.

The Backup and Replicate utility on my DS212 is used to backup selected folders on drive 1/volume 1 to drive 2/volume 2. Two independent volumes, independent file systems. Also use that same utility to backup most all folders to a USB3 drive that is kept out of sight.

Time Backup is great. It's like Apple's Time Machine. It's for making a file version archive going back months. I do it with a target of the second drive in my DS212. (I don't use RAID).

Backing up a lot to the "cloud" is slow. And I don't send any sensitive info to a cloud storage service. I do use ADrive.com due to it being $25/yr for a good sized store - for offsite backup of non-sensitive info, esp. family photos, from PC to Adrive, where some things are actually on the NAS. It has scheduled and on-going backup too.

ok. thanks guys. I found descriptions for the Sysnology apps in the backup section. They are all pretty much for backing up the DiskStation and not for PC to DS backup. Sysnology does aim you at Cloud Station to do PC backup and I am using it now. I don't know the details of rsynch, but if its a synch app, I figure it does the same thing as CS. In CS, it seems you can go into the synch and click or unclick subdirectories to be included. You just can't put multiple high level directories into the same share.
I googled around more and did see that Acronis is perhaps the most popular imager but in another thread here, DriveImageXML was recommended.
I guess I am just not sure whether I want file/folder backup or imaging backup. Probably both. So for imaging, I can use the Windows function, Acronis, or DriveImageXML. For file and folder, I have CS at this point.

All these things have learning curves and only two days into using Cloud Station, I am getting more used to it.

Still open to other ideas and opinions about image vs file/folder and scheduled backups vs instant synching.

PC to NAS (DS) backup ... I wrote about that in post #4. I don't use Synology's PC software.

I googled around more and did see that Acronis is perhaps the most popular imager but in another thread here, DriveImageXML was recommended.
I guess I am just not sure whether I want file/folder backup or imaging backup. Probably both. So for imaging, I can use the Windows function, Acronis, or DriveImageXML. For file and folder, I have CS at this point.
imaging is for PC disks - store image on NAS. Cloning is good way to go too.

Well there a lot of good options for back up available these days in the market. But of course it depends upon your usage and requirement. Over here I would advice you to go for a public cloud. For this you have many better and cost effective options you can check out Dropbox for business or you can also try Syncribox. I am using both public and private cloud method and as for public I am using both Syncribox and Dropbox.

Thanks for the reply. I have been using the Synology synching app. I think their names are confusing and they keep changing them but otherwise my entire windows user directory is synched to a folder on my Synology drive. So that gives me real time back up.

So here is what I mean about Synology apps being confusing. Last week, the Synology app on my PC was showing an indication that it needed to be updated. The message said "Cloud Station Client is out of date". So obviously, I went look on the Synology site for the new Cloud Station Client. Well there is nothing called that. So I just downloaded all three apps for Windows. Turns out, the thing I needed is called Cloud Station Drive. Since I don't live and breathe this stuff, that sort thing takes time to sort out and generates annoyance.

Well everything depends on your need. I am using Syncrify back software and it is working very well for me. It provides all latest back up techniques or you can say features that are actually workable as I am using it myself. It is a friendly software as it is compatible with any known OS available in the market. Moreover it is a cost effective back up solution as compare to other like products available in the market.

Thanks for the reply. I have been using the Synology synching app. I think their names are confusing and they keep changing them but otherwise my entire windows user directory is synched to a folder on my Synology drive. So that gives me real time back up.

So here is what I mean about Synology apps being confusing. Last week, the Synology app on my PC was showing an indication that it needed to be updated. The message said "Cloud Station Client is out of date". So obviously, I went look on the Synology site for the new Cloud Station Client. Well there is nothing called that. So I just downloaded all three apps for Windows. Turns out, the thing I needed is called Cloud Station Drive. Since I don't live and breathe this stuff, that sort thing takes time to sort out and generates annoyance.
I don't use Synology's PC program for backup; I use Acronis True Image for drive images stored on the NAS, and for work in process, I use Centered Systems Second Copy.