What's new

A Little Cooling and A Big Temp Drop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just added a 120mm fan at 5V to run it at about half speed so it's quiet. This move was drive by these repeated log entries:
May 17 17:45:42 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat
May 17 17:45:42 rc_service: check_watchdog 1929:notify_rc restart_watchdog
May 17 17:45:42 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart watchdog)
May 17 17:45:42 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event-end (args: restart watchdog)

In 5 minutes CPU dropped from 90C to 64C. Even if it dose not correct the above, it could help the router last loner

Morris

It has now been 3 days since I added the fan and not a single watchdog event. I was seeing one every day or two. Getting interesting!

Morris

Many folks around wrongly assume if one component can withstand high temperatures, the entire device is okay.
to that: Someone mentioned (possibly in another topic/thread) using an external switch rather than the internal/on-board Ethernet connections - has anyone looked into how much heat the LEDs generate in the case? when mine are on, the temp is 2-3 degrees warmer than when they're off...and either amtm or diversion allow you control of them if your router is on the warm side to begin with.

I don't know about the heat, but speaking about LEDs Asus apparently miscalculated some currents and/or used not so good quality LEDs in some router models. I have one old RT-AC68U router with still bright LAN/USB LEDs, but the rest are very dim. This happens when the LED is overdriven with higher currents. Small currents above the LED specs damage it over time. White and Blue LEDs are more sensitive.

I have one old RT-AC68U router with still bright LAN/USB LEDs, but the rest are very dim.
I concur. Three of my shelved AC68 routers now have barely visible LEDs. They weren't very bright to begin with, so I attribute it to poor quality LEDs.

It has now been 3 days since I added the fan and not a single watchdog event. I was seeing one every day or two. Getting interesting!

Morris

Had another watchdog event today. Oh well, there goes the easy fix

Morris

Had another watchdog event today. Oh well, there goes the easy fix

Morris
If they are further and fewer between, you are on the right path: continue!

If they are further and fewer between, you are on the right path: continue!
With intermittent issues one needs to take a big cup of patience. One sample is not all that useful.

With intermittent issues one needs to take a big cup of patience. One sample is not all that useful.
absolutely. but since you noticed a marked decrease in the number of events with a fan vs without one, it would indicate you are likely on a path to determining the cause and how to eliminate the event from recurring or possibly happening altogether...so, keep pursuing that by gathering more data.

absolutely. but since you noticed a marked decrease in the number of events with a fan vs without one, it would indicate you are likely on a path to determining the cause and how to eliminate the event from recurring or possibly happening altogether...so, keep pursuing that by gathering more data.
Just had another watchdog timer over night. Frequency is about the same. If the fan is doing something it's possibly increasing he longevity of the device as a hole. My routers only seem to last a few years. The only one that has lasted a long time was my original Linksys 802.11 B

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!