What's new

AC-86U WebGUI randomly freezing, Merlin + FreshJR modded

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
I was running stock firmware for about a year. I wanted to kill my bufferbloat so I installed Merlin, & FreshJR. Things were working fine for a little while (week or so) then recently I started getting random WebGUI freezes. I've factory default reset + initializing the settings twice now and I'm still getting them. Is this a known issue?

I was running stock firmware for about a year. I wanted to kill my bufferbloat so I installed Merlin, & FreshJR. Things were working fine for a little while (week or so) then recently I started getting random WebGUI freezes. I've factory default reset + initializing the settings twice now and I'm still getting them. Is this a known issue?

No. What version are you running now? The RMerlin 384.10_2 release or the 384.11 Alpha3?

Have you tried different browsers? Are you connecting to the router via HTTP or HTTPS?

What other options are you configuring or changing past the defaults after a full reset to factory defaults (and after flashing the firmware you want)?

Was the jffs partition also formatted on next reboot after the factory defaults? And the router then rebooted at least 2 more times?

You did not use a saved config file to restore any settings, did you?

Are you using a USB drive? How is it formatted? What scripts do you have running?

Do you use amtm? Do you use a swap file? Was it created with amtm?

If you uninstall all the scripts you've installed, including the swap file and Entware, if applicable, and then safely remove the USB drive, is the router more stable?

If you are not using a USB drive, if you install amtm and then insert a USB drive into the router, format it and create a swap file, is it more stable then?

Sorry! Too many questions. But they are all important. ;)

No. What version are you running now? The RMerlin 384.10_2 release or the 384.11 Alpha3?
10_2

Have you tried different browsers? Are you connecting to the router via HTTP or HTTPS?
No but it needs a hard reboot every-time. HTTP. The one time I did try switching to HTTPS I got locked out, lol

What other options are you configuring or changing past the defaults after a full reset to factory defaults (and after flashing the firmware you want)?
Maybe it's something with the settings but they all should work, I'm assuming. It's possible bugs weren't all exploited and addressed.

I don't use anything in:
-Guest Network
-Traffic Analyzer
-Game Boost
-USB Applications
-AI Cloud

The only thing I changed in Tools was I drop IPv6 solicitation, and I've disabled Asusnat Tunnel.

Under LAN I've disabled Spanning-Tree Protocol

Under Wan I've disabled UPnP, and everything in NAT Passthrough is disabled.

Under Adminstration/System I'm using custom scripts of course, changed USB 3.0 to 2.0, Auto Logout is disabled (this might be the issue but not sure) and I don't use SSH anymore after installing FreshJR.

The rest is pretty much untouched except for a few changes in the wifi section.

Was the jffs partition also formatted on next reboot after the factory defaults? And the router then rebooted at least 2 more times?
I have formatted the jffs partition twice now. And I rebooted the router twice after each jffs format.

You did not use a saved config file to restore any settings, did you?
Never. But the last time I did save the settings

Are you using a USB drive? How is it formatted? What scripts do you have running?
No.

Do you use amtm? Do you use a swap file? Was it created with amtm?
No.

If you uninstall all the scripts you've installed, including the swap file and Entware, if applicable, and then safely remove the USB drive, is the router more stable?
N/A

If you are not using a USB drive, if you install amtm and then insert a USB drive into the router, format it and create a swap file, is it more stable then?
N/A

Sorry! Too many questions. But they are all important. ;)

I get it.

Last edited:
The WebGUI will freeze yet the router continues to work. Not sure if it is working without issue or not but I hard reboot the modem anyways.

The first time it happened was after I changed the default log-out time of 30 minutes to 0 (disabled) Not sure if it's related but.

Last edited:
The WebGUI will freeze yet the router continues to work. Not sure if it is working without issue or not but I hard reboot the modem anyways.

The first time it happened was after I changed the default log-out time of 30 minutes to 0 (disabled) Not sure if it's related but.

Thank you for the detailed response to my questions in the post above, I will respond here shortly. But this may be related to your issues? I know it helped me yesterday. :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...ol-menu-for-asuswrt-merlin.56277/#post-484228

Didn’t you recently install the qos script using the instructions for stock firmware? If you were, in fact, using Merlin fw, this could be an issue.

Didn’t you recently install the qos script using the instructions for stock firmware? If you were, in fact, using Merlin fw, this could be an issue.

No, I never did that. Only with Merlin 384.10_2 and the instructions for install with Merlin.

10_2

No but it needs a hard reboot every-time. HTTP. The one time I did try switching to HTTPS I got locked out, lol

Maybe it's something with the settings but they all should work, I'm assuming. It's possible bugs weren't all exploited and addressed.

I don't use anything in:
-Guest Network
-Traffic Analyzer
-Game Boost
-USB Applications
-AI Cloud

The only thing I changed in Tools was I drop IPv6 solicitation, and I've disabled Asusnat Tunnel.

Under LAN I've disabled Spanning-Tree Protocol

Under Wan I've disabled UPnP, and everything in NAT Passthrough is disabled.

Under Adminstration/System I'm using custom scripts of course, changed USB 3.0 to 2.0, Auto Logout is disabled (this might be the issue but not sure) and I don't use SSH anymore after installing FreshJR.

The rest is pretty much untouched except for a few changes in the wifi section.

I have formatted the jffs partition twice now. And I rebooted the router twice after each jffs format.

Never. But the last time I did save the settings

No.

No.

N/A

N/A

I get it.

If I had to take a guess, I would guess that the Auto Logout setting is the issue. Or, possibly the Spanning-Tree Protocol should be left enabled :)

Are you trying to access the GUI from two different computers/devices without logging out from the first one? Or, are you logging into the GUI and leaving it connected for very long periods at a time?

None of the other settings should have an effect that I can see, but I'm also not sure why you're changing many of these settings? Is there a specific reason that the IPv6 solicitation and Asusnat Tunnel are dropped and disabled, respectively?

I can see disabling UPnP, but why is NAT Passthrough all disabled?

After resetting the router, formatting the jffs partition and installing the FreshJR QOS script, how do you set up the QOS page?

It should be Adaptive QoS, manual bandwidth (with your ISP limits entered at about 85% for up and down) and the Queue Discipline set to fq_codel.

The order of the categories should be set as per FreshJR's first few posts too.

I would recommend installing amtm to the jffs partition also, and using a spare USB drive, create a swap file for the router to use.

See the link in my signature below for the detailed steps to the amtm Step-by-Step guide to help you set that up properly.

Your router's GUI should not be freezing on you. Let's try to fix that.

Edit: You may also want to install the scMerlin script too if you decide to use a USB drive and install amtm and a swap file. Like my post above shows, it may save you with this very issue you face! :)

If I had to take a guess, I would guess that the Auto Logout setting is the issue. Or, possibly the Spanning-Tree Protocol should be left enabled :)

I'm kinda thinking it was the Auto Logout too but who knows, hmm.

Funny I remember one day mentioning the Spanning Tree Protocol while I was on my N66U and next thing I know Merlin included an option to disable it, hah :)

Are you trying to access the GUI from two different computers/devices without logging out from the first one? Or, are you logging into the GUI and leaving it connected for very long periods at a time?
No just one. Always one at a time if I ever needed to access it from a different location/device/etc. I normally watch to see if packets are being directed in the correct container. And sometimes it'll be longer than 30 minutes. I noticed one game was sending all the data to Game Transferring and the game was noticeably different in terms of it's online response so I like to see if anything ends up going wrong.

None of the other settings should have an effect that I can see, but I'm also not sure why you're changing many of these settings? Is there a specific reason that the IPv6 solicitation and Asusnat Tunnel are dropped and disabled, respectively?
Now that I think of it I don't even have IPv6 enabled nor does my ISP provide IPv6 afaik. If it's causing the use of resources to keep IPv6 solicitation dropped then maybe I'll just set it back to default. I briefed over Asusnt Tunnel and I thought I read Merlin saying that it took up some resource as far as cpu wise keeping at the default of Enabled. So I disabled it. Don't know what it's for, tbh.

I can see disabling UPnP, but why is NAT Passthrough all disabled?
I don't understand NAT Passthrough and have never had the need for it. By default UPnP is enabled and good thing I read up on it and learned it was better to have it disabled so same logic goes for NAT Passthrough.

After resetting the router, formatting the jffs partition and installing the FreshJR QOS script, how do you set up the QOS page?

It should be Adaptive QoS, manual bandwidth (with your ISP limits entered at about 85% for up and down) and the Queue Discipline set to fq_codel.

The order of the categories should be set as per FreshJR's first few posts too.

I would recommend installing amtm to the jffs partition also, and using a spare USB drive, create a swap file for the router to use.

See the link in my signature below for the detailed steps to the amtm Step-by-Step guide to help you set that up properly.

Your router's GUI should not be freezing on you. Let's try to fix that.

Edit: You may also want to install the scMerlin script too if you decide to use a USB drive and install amtm and a swap file. Like my post above shows, it may save you with this very issue you face! :)

I've set it up just like you've describe, except for the category priority which goes:
Others
Gaming
Video and Streaming
Web Surfing
VoIP
File Transferring

That's how I like it according to my needs. I rarely do VoIP.

Under the FreshJR mod I've tweaked the percentages according to my needs and gave Others and Gaming a little more reserved DL and UpLD bandwidth. The rest has been left alone.

"service restart_httpd" works perfectly if you haven't already tried it ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!