What's new

Solved AC68 new release today 05.21.2021 File is very large / Problem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John Fitzgerald

Very Senior Member

File is more than twice the size of previous releases.
Can this model support it large size, which was capped at 64MBytes.

Why is the file so much larger than newer models?

Looks like someone made a mistake when compressing the trx file. Looking at this version and the previous one the contents are approximately the same size. The difference is that this new one has ~56MB of padding after the data.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Looks like someone made a mistake when compressing the trx file. Looking at this version and the previous one the contents are approximately the same size. The difference is that this new one has ~56MB of padding after the data.
Though it appears to be currently harmless padding, looks like it wasn't an accident, perhaps? A deliberate empty container for future plans?

Last edited:
Thanks for researching this. I came here with the exact same question.

Go to the ASUSWRT-Official section:

Release RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.43129​

Because it contains two firmware images: one for the "traditional" RT-AC68U, and one for the forecoming RT-AC68U V4.
I haven't examined the file to determine if the dual firmware file was properly generated in this particular case, but I can tell that it's Asus's intention to eventually have the RT-AC68U firmware image contain two different firmwares.

What is the name of the app that gives you this nice info? Tried fsutil but it's not the same, unfortunately!