What's new

AC68u antenna extention

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrobin9

New Around Here
I have an AC68u I am using in repeater mode for my shop (30x40 metal building). I have about 50% reduction in speed from router inside shop vs router just outside shop. I was thinking if I could use an SMA cable (I think it's SMA connector or maybe RP-SMA) say 2-3' long on each of the 3 antenna to get the antennas outside shop and leave router inside. Would just drill a hole and run SMA cable through. Would the extension cable work or would there be some signal loss from extra length? Would I need to leave 1 or more antenna inside the shop for signal to devices inside? If so does it matter how many?

Last edited:
I have an AC68u I am using in repeater mode for my shop (30x40 metal building). I have about 50% reduction in speed from router inside shop vs router just outside shop. I was thinking if I could use an SMA cable (I think it's SMA connector or maybe RP-SMA) say 2-3' long on each of the 3 antenna to get the antennas outside shop and leave router inside. Would just drill a hole and run SMA cable through. Would the extension cable work or would there be some signal loss from extra length? Would I need to leave 1 or more antenna inside the shop for signal to devices inside? If so does it matter how many?

Repeater mode cuts your speed in half, that's how the technology works.

Get a pair of ubiquiti nano 5ac locos (or similar setup), set up a wireless bridge, run your router in AP mode and enjoy about 300-500M+ depending on distance and how clear the sight line is. If repeater mode is working inside a metal building, I have to assume the distance is pretty small.

For reference, the cable would be RP-SMA and you need to relocate all 3 antennas, they are a system, not independent. So all you'd do is end up cutting your repeated signal, sacrificing that for the backhaul signal. If you're getting 50% throughput in repeater mode, you're maxing it out anyway so your signal is already good and moving the antennas wouldn't change anything. Good low loss cables with LMR 400 coax are not cheap either, you'd be more than halfway to the cost of a bridge setup.

Your other option is get another ac68u or similar, run it in media bridge mode feeding the second one in AP mode. Basically creating a dual radio setup with one dedicated for backhaul, you won't lose half the speed that way. If you go that option just look for an outdoor rated AP that supports Ethernet bridge mode and run an Ethernet though the wall to your AC68.

So I'm not getting 50% in repeater mode. Service in home is about 300+- meg (all I can get where I'm at). AC68u in repeater mode outside shop door gets 75+- meg. AC68u inside shop gets 35+- meg. Distance from main router is about 50ft. I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible. I was trying to avoid running Ethernet to shop but from a price/performance perspective I'm now thinking I need to get out the shovel... thanks for the info

So I'm not getting 50% in repeater mode. Service in home is about 300+- meg (all I can get where I'm at). AC68u in repeater mode outside shop door gets 75+- meg. AC68u inside shop gets 35+- meg. Distance from main router is about 50ft. I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible. I was trying to avoid running Ethernet to shop but from a price/performance perspective I'm now thinking I need to get out the shovel... thanks for the info

OK I misunderstood. Are they both repeating the main router signal or are they daisy chained?

I'm assuming the one getting 75 meg is using 2.4 ghz with 40mhz channel, in which case it is getting 100% of repeater mode throughput. The one inside the shop may not be able to connect at 40mhz so is using 20, and 35 meg is pretty much max for repeater mode on that. Or it may be the one outside the shop has a 5ghz signal, just a weaker one, the one inside the shop almost certainly is using 2.4.

Ethernet is going to give you the best and most consistent performance (should be able to hit your full 300M internet with 5ghz devices in the shop) but a wireless bridge should get you similar performance at that distance too. Depending on the quality of the devices you get a pair will range anywhere from about $50 to $120. The ubiquiti units are kind of the "gold standard" but there are cheaper ones out there that should work fine at that distance too.

If you do bury ethernet you need to run it in conduit or get direct burial rated stuff. You might get away with burying standard outdoor rated wire, the longevity of it may be impacted though as water will eventually infiltrate it.

You could attempt powerline adapters too, those can be hit or miss, depending on the wiring.

Is there a window in the shop you can put the router near to get better signal?

OK I misunderstood. Are they both repeating the main router signal or are they daisy chained?

I'm assuming the one getting 75 meg is using 2.4 ghz with 40mhz channel, in which case it is getting 100% of repeater mode throughput. The one inside the shop may not be able to connect at 40mhz so is using 20, and 35 meg is pretty much max for repeater mode on that. Or it may be the one outside the shop has a 5ghz signal, just a weaker one, the one inside the shop almost certainly is using 2.4.

Ethernet is going to give you the best and most consistent performance (should be able to hit your full 300M internet with 5ghz devices in the shop) but a wireless bridge should get you similar performance at that distance too. Depending on the quality of the devices you get a pair will range anywhere from about $50 to $120. The ubiquiti units are kind of the "gold standard" but there are cheaper ones out there that should work fine at that distance too.

If you do bury ethernet you need to run it in conduit or get direct burial rated stuff. You might get away with burying standard outdoor rated wire, the longevity of it may be impacted though as water will eventually infiltrate it.

You could attempt powerline adapters too, those can be hit or miss, depending on the wiring.

Is there a window in the shop you can put the router near to get better signal?
It is at a window now but the window isn't directly pointed at the main router. Cabin is on separate meter so no powerline. This is a get away type cabin at a lake with shop out back. So not used anywhere near on a daily basis. I'm using the ISP router (something I never do at home and haven't even looked at the settings. 2.4 and 5 are using the same SSID but yeah I'm assuming I'm 2.4 20 inside the shop. I may break down and get the ubiquiti but likely will just get some underground cable and lay ethernet. Ground really isn't that hard (I've just been lazy). Thanks for all the info.

It is at a window now but the window isn't directly pointed at the main router. Cabin is on separate meter so no powerline. This is a get away type cabin at a lake with shop out back. So not used anywhere near on a daily basis. I'm using the ISP router (something I never do at home and haven't even looked at the settings. 2.4 and 5 are using the same SSID but yeah I'm assuming I'm 2.4 20 inside the shop. I may break down and get the ubiquiti but likely will just get some underground cable and lay ethernet. Ground really isn't that hard (I've just been lazy). Thanks for all the info.

If you're able to do that, that's going to be the most reliable and fastest connection.

If it is remote and not much else 2.4ghz you might be able to force 40mhz and get a bit more speed but if the signal is already strained, that may end up making things worse.

Your other option, considering the signal outside the shop seems decent, is just get a single outdoor wireless bridge (nanostation won't do it, those require two identical units, but plenty of others make wireless outdoor APs that can be used in bridge mode) and mount that outside the shop with an ethernet running inside to the AC68. But I think you're on the right track with just burying a wire.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!