What's new

ac68u b/g Protection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smedley

Regular Contributor
I have read many conflicting posts regarding the function and impact of the b/g Protection check-box on the Wireless tab, next to the Wireless Mode.

I have read that ticking the box (setting it on) allows slower 802.11b devices to communicate with the router/access point.

If there are no 802.11b clients, does this check-box have any effect either way?

If I have only 802.11n and 802.11g clients, should b/g protection be turned off? If it is turned off, would my g-clients have better performance?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks! I would like to know what it actually does and why it impacts performance.

The help available on the WebGUI configuration screen has a somewhat conflicting explanation. It says (I paraphrase) that b/g Protection protects the performance of 802.11n clients when g or b clients are streaming, however it places more of a burden on the router.

This implies that when there are b or g clients broadcasting, the n-client performance would be better with this option checked.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!