What's new

AC86U OpenVPN server whilst in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blankedy

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have an RT-AC86U (running the latest stable Merlin fw for it) that was the primary router on my home network (i.e. doing DHCP), but has now been relegated to a wireless AP as it couldn't handle the newly installed 900/900 connection. The new ISP-provided router is fast enough for the new connection (as you'd expect), but the software does not allow for any sort of VPN server to be configured. I would like to still run the OpenVPN server on the AC86U behind the ISP router.

I can access the OpenVPN configuration page despite it not appearing in the UI whilst in AP mode by going to its standard URL. I have port forwarded from the ISP router to the AC86U, and I can successfully connect to the OpenVPN server from the WAN side. However, I cannot address other devices on my home network or the internet on the client device. Can I - and if so, how - configure the OpenVPN server/AC86U to ask the ISP router to assign IPs to clients (and/or generally send traffic between the two)? Or more generally: what are my options, if any, for the desired outcome? I am technical, but do not understand a whole lot of the network stack, apologies.

This thread isn't entirely to do with the Merlin fw, so please move if more appropriate elsewhere.

Welcome to the forums @Blankedy.

It can't route (a VPN) when not in router mode.

You may want to use it in a double NAT setup (and forward the appropriate port from the main router too).

I have an RT-AC86U... it couldn't handle the newly installed 900/900 connection

RT-AC86U can handle Gigabit ISP. You have to make sure Runner and Flow Cache are enabled.

Welcome to the forums @Blankedy.

It can't route (a VPN) when not in router mode.

You may want to use it in a double NAT setup (and forward the appropriate port from the main router too).
OK, so double NAT is the only way? Bummer. Thanks!

RT-AC86U can handle Gigabit ISP. You have to make sure Runner and Flow Cache are enabled.
A-ha, I'll have a look, thanks - returning it to routing duty would just solve the problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!