What's new

AC87U - devices cannot connect to 2.4Ghz network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fafot

Regular Contributor
24.JPG

I have the AC87U running Marlin 378.54_2 with 2.4 and 5Ghz networks. Each has different SSID. From this morning devices on the 2.4Ghz network lost connection and cannot reconnect to the network.

I restored the nvram previous backup and than the whole jffs directory but nothing helps. The one device that is always connecting without any problem is D-link wireless AP.

The 5Ghz network has no problems at all and works perfectly.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
The only way to fix it was to reset it to factory settings like Faur suggested in the other thread and than manually entering all the settings:
Just a reminder for those that want to upgrade...

Before upgrading the new FW, please unplug any device you have on AC87U USB.
Immediately after upgrade, turn off the router by switching off the On/Off button. Press and KEEP pressing the WPS while turning ON the router, until you will see one of the blue LEDs from the front flashing rapidly.(usually it will take around 10 sec) Only now you can depress WPS button and switch Off and On again the router (using On/Off button). Plug again the USB devices - if any.

After this you should enter manually all the settings and start testing.

From my experience, if i skip any of the steps described above, i always ended up in weird/slow performance.

Thank you.

I've had the same experience with the AC66U on the 5-GHz when changing to Bridge mode and back to Repeater mode. The devices will try to connect showing an "A" on the connection page of the AC66U.
The only remedy was a factory reset and manual reconfig. What is this fault about?

To those who are interested: I had the exact same problem a few days ago with AC87U running latest Merlin Firmware 378.56_2.
After about 2 weeks the 2.4 Ghz network suddenly stopped working. I got no client to connect to it, while the admin panel of the router showed no errors to me.

It took me almost a day until I surrendered, trying a couple of different firmwares and resets, a lot of different options and even another powersource. Then I got my old N66U to work... with the same problem. After a couple of more tests I figured out, that it was the specific place, I put the router to. Near to it, there are two other devices, my Synology DS215j and an external HDD, attached to it via USB3. It seems, they are affecting the 2.4 Ghz network in some way.

After installation in some distance to these two, all went back to normal: both the N66U and the AC87U are doing fine now.

I am still wondering...

Maybe this can be helpful for some of you.

USB 3.0 signaling generate EMs that can interfere with wifi, if the heard disk, its cable, or the USB host itself aren't properly shielded.

To those who are interested: I had the exact same problem a few days ago with AC87U running latest Merlin Firmware 378.56_2.
After about 2 weeks the 2.4 Ghz network suddenly stopped working. I got no client to connect to it, while the admin panel of the router showed no errors to me.

It took me almost a day until I surrendered, trying a couple of different firmwares and resets, a lot of different options and even another powersource. Then I got my old N66U to work... with the same problem. After a couple of more tests I figured out, that it was the specific place, I put the router to. Near to it, there are two other devices, my Synology DS215j and an external HDD, attached to it via USB3. It seems, they are affecting the 2.4 Ghz network in some way.

After installation in some distance to these two, all went back to normal: both the N66U and the AC87U are doing fine now.

I am still wondering...

Maybe this can be helpful for some of you.

Now this explain why it may happened to me, but in my case factory reset fixed the problem.
Tx for the info!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!