What's new

Access point or Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sputnik62

New Around Here
We run an art studio. My internet comes in through a Cable Modem + Wi-Fi router combo. This router is at 192.168.0.1 and has my business Wi-Fi.
I just added Netgear R7000 in another area of the studio and it is connected to the cable modem router using CAT6. I configured the Netgear R7000 on 192.168.1.1 routing to 192.168.0.x network. I have a Wi-Fi for our AV gear(a couple of receivers, projectors, Apple TVs, security camera and a printer) and a separate visitor zone.
Was setting the Netgear to route from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x the right decision or should I have set it up as an AP (access point)? I chose to set it up as a router simply because R7000 can't have a guest Wi-Fi when configured as AP.

You can't simply disable DHCP and set a static IP on the R7000 and setup a guest SSID that way? I know some routers if they have a dedicated AP mode stupidly disable guest SSIDs, but I would think you could set it up manually as an access point.

Dual NAT is never ideal, but if that is the only way to get a guest SSID working, then yes, that was the way to go.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!