What's new

Advice on home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Caple

Regular Contributor
Hi there.

I'm looking for advices on how to connect everything I have using a dual wan router.
Right now the only devices I have are an ADSL modem, a cable modem and a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router.
I think I will buy a TP-Link R470T+ to connect both internet modems.
The problem is that I will have only 3 LAN ports, to connect a desktop, a NAS, a STB and a WDTV. Also I need wireless to connect my smartphone and tablet.
How can I connect everything?

I want to load balance the links between the devices, chosing a specific WAN for some of them. Therefore I believe I need to have all of them on the same R470T+ subnetwork.

Would I be able to set the devices like this:
cable modem - 192.168.1.1
ADSL modem - 192.168.2.1
R470T+ - 192.168.3.1
1043ND - 192.168.3.2 (on WAN) and 192.168.3.3 (on LAN), giving IPs starting on 192.168.3.4, so I connect everything on the 1043ND, using its gigabit ports and wireless N, and load balance on the R470T+ chosing the specific IPs.

Is it possible? I think the 1043ND would be the problem to keep the connected devices on the same R470T+ subnetwork.
What would you suggest?

Thanx.