What's new

AFP Time Machine on NAS not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dafunktyfunk

New Around Here
Hey Guys,

I have been trying to get my time machine working with a QNAP NAS and having some woes. WHen I reboot the router, the Mac can see the TM share and do a backup to the NAS - ONCE. After that, I have to restart the service on the NAS or, reboot the router to get an incremental.

I bypassed the router and went Mac to NAS via a single Cat6 and the TM works flawless. Try again via the network and it go back to step one above - have to shut it down and redo it. I go back to old Linksys router with DDWRT and it work flawlessly... There is something in the router configs that is blocking or messing with it. These connections to the NAS are hardwired direct to the router. The Mac's are hardwired and wireless to the router - does not seem to make a difference.

I have wiped the router, reflashed the router FW, wiped again and then rebuilt from scratch. No effect.

Open to suggestions and thoughts, please. Thank you - I REALLY appreciate the help.

Router information
AC68U - FW: 378.55

Steve

What's the QNAP QTS firmware version?

TimeMachine on QTS is a bit interesting, so you might want to share more about what you have...

Sure, thanks for helping BTW...

The environment is mostly wired with computers, wireless for tablets, IP cameras and Kodi XBMC machines. I have three access points including the Asus (goal was to bring it all down to just the Asus but the WiFi is horrible and has to be restarted and drops too much for that to happen). It all gets wired back to an eight port gig switch which then a connected back to the Asus port 1.

Wan looks like this: Uverse router -> Asus wan port via cat6.

Office has three computers, IP phone, printer and the QNAP Nas connected to a gig switch via cat6. Bonus room has an htpc connected via cat6 to dlink router port 2, Xbox the port 3, 8 port gig switch to port 4 via cat6. 8port switch has the main gig connection going back to the switch connected to the Asus, IP camera, amplifier/receiver and another Xbox all via cat6. QNAP was connected to dlink port 1 but was moved to direct connected switch in attempt to keep STP clean.

The QNAP is a TS851 running the latest QTS 4.1.4 version posted 8/5/2015. It is loaded with 2 WD 6TB Red drives in RAID 1. Ram has been upfraded to 8gigs. Qnap support has isolated it to the network since things runs fine when direct connected to MAC or another router.

I have IGMP multicast proxy and router turned on. Turning it off has no impact. I read in should have it on if I want to airplay stuff.

That's pretty much it...

I don't have a 68U, I have a 87U. I also have a QNAP NAS running the latest 4.1.4 and five Macs on my network. To get TM to work reliably, on each Mac I had to do the following:

On the Mac, find the share serverName(TimeMachine) and double click on it. Enter the credentials that you created in the NAS specifically for the time machine share - the default userID is 'TimeMachine' and the password is the one you set up. If you have the option to remember the password in the keychain, select yes. That will mount the AFB time machine share. Perform your first backup to completion. Once the backup is complete, you can eject the time machine shared volume. It should now work for subsequent backups. If it still doesn't work, you may need to log in to the NAS and delete the old backups and try again.

As for the router, I did not need to do anything special for IGMP proxy, etc.