What's new

Solved AiMesh Node client connection issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

romol1

New Around Here
Have AiMesh with RT-AX86U Pro (router) and RT-AC66U B1 (node) connected via wireless backhaul, both on the latest Merlin firmware (can't use wire for router-node connection). Node has one Ethernet client with static IP (my work pc). I need to be able to access it from my other devices, mostly wifi connected. And here are the problems I have: I can only access my work pc from a client that is wirelessly connected to the node, once it's connected to the router connection fails! No ping, no nothing!

I don't have AP isolation.

Also if I try to access it from the wired device connected to the main router - it is possible and works fine.

Is it something that can be fixed or is it a bug/feature?

First, I would try letting the work PC use a dynamic address. I suspect most folks call a manually assigned (at the router) address static. Which it isn't.

Second, I would switch the AC66U_B1 to a media bridge as you would get better throughput for the work PC. That is unless you need the device to extend WIFI range.

If you keep it as an AiMesh node, go back to Asus firmware on the node. Also set the AX86U Pro WIFI to 20 MHz on the 2.4 GHz and 80 MHz on 5 GHz. Do not use DFS channels. The AC66U_B1 will limit what you can push out of the AX86U Pro. I write from experience as I still have my AC66U_B1 and have tested it with an AX86U and AX86U Pro.

The AC66U_B1 will limit what you can push out of the AX86U Pro.

Correct, but only when active and negative performance impact applies with any dual-band "node". Wired will need 1x extra airtime to serve its clients, wireless will need 2x extra airtime for backhaul and it's clients. This is a result of using the same channel and/or retransmissions. Slower "node" makes it worse. More "nodes" make it worse.

Is it something that can be fixed or is it a bug/feature?

Most likely a bug, if all your setting are correct. Use stock Asuswrt on the node and try again. If this node doesn't serve any wireless clients - use Media Bridge as suggested by @bbunge above. It turns the router into wireless client with LAN ports. Test and see if it works better for your needs. Perhaps the Wi-Fi from your AX86U Pro is enough.

Last edited:
Thank you loads, @bbunge and @Tech9 - that's all I needed to do, just to turn my node to a media bridge. Works like a charm!

I have good wifi coverage from my AX86U Pro, so no need to extend wifi.

One thing I don't understand @bbunge - how can I connect to my pc if it's ip is assigned dynamically? I created profile in Remmina (RDP client) and use pre-configured ip for connection. Also I used to have and will configure VPN access if need to connect from outside - need to know address of that machine, right? Why is it better to have it assigned dynamically and how can I access it without knowing it?

I don’t think using a static ip address is the cause of the issue. Should be fine to use a static ip; connecting remotely without one for file transfers, network drive mapping or Remote Desktop would be a pain to use without a static ip.

“First, I would try letting the work PC use a dynamic address. I suspect most folks call a manually assigned (at the router) address static. Which it isn't.”

True that’s more of a mac/ip binding for for simplicity static ip. You can manually set the ip address to be static from your client computer or devices the only problem is dhcp may not disassociate any other client devices that may have automatically defaulted to that ip without first rebooting your router. And can be problematic if you have a client side static ip device that sits turned off for awhile because, the dhcp server will lease that ip if not used.

Leaving dhcp auto on the clients and binding a ip staticly to a MAC address from the router often is much simpler. But you can have the best of both!

Last edited:
Thank you loads, @bbunge and @Tech9 - that's all I needed to do, just to turn my node to a media bridge. Works like a charm!

I have good wifi coverage from my AX86U Pro, so no need to extend wifi.

One thing I don't understand @bbunge - how can I connect to my pc if it's ip is assigned dynamically? I created profile in Remmina (RDP client) and use pre-configured ip for connection. Also I used to have and will configure VPN access if need to connect from outside - need to know address of that machine, right? Why is it better to have it assigned dynamically and how can I access it without knowing it?
DHCP use was a trouble shooting suggestion. Once DHCP assigns an address on an Asus router the client IP address will never change. My Canon printer has had the same IP address through three Asus routers. My security cams and NVR have static addresses and are on a UPS and PoE switch so they will keep working through a power failure.

DHCP use was a trouble shooting suggestion. Once DHCP assigns an address on an Asus router the client IP address will never change. My Canon printer has had the same IP address through three Asus routers. My security cams and NVR have static addresses and are on a UPS and PoE switch so they will keep working through a power failure.

Oh, ok, got it. I'll keep it manually assigned. Thanks again!

When a client submits a DHCP request it should include its hostname (as well an address if it's used it before, which if available, it'll get - hence "same one over several routers"), which then gets registered in the router so the client can be "found" by name on the network using the router itself as the DNS provider. No assigning anything manually anywhere. How can it be any simpler?