What's new

AiMesh Topology shows an empty page on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rares Oltean

Occasional Visitor
Like the title says, I'm trying to setup an Asus AiMesh with my RT-AC86U being the master but when I access the Topology tab I get an empty page.
First time I tried with the latest Merlin FW 386.11. Then I tried, 386.10, 386.7_2, 386.5_2... same thing.
I tried reset to factory settings with all of the above. No dice. I still get an empty page.

1688853673986.png

I'm fresh out of ideas.
Can anyone help?

Last edited:
I managed to solve it.
Flashed the plain vanilla Asus Firmware to the router and did a factory reset. Only after these two did the contents of the Topology page reappear.
Doing a factory reset on Merlin did not do the trick. Neither did any other combination of flashing and/or resetting.

Oh, I have now the same Issue after upgade of my RT-AC86U on Merlin FW 386.12 from 386.5. I try now your solution and hope it will work. I wonder how many hours you have spent for the desicion.

I was having the same issue as Rares Oltean.

The AC68U was originally a T-mobile TM-AC1900.

I was already at the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for the AC68U at this time: 386.12

I ended up performing a set of steps via command-line via SSH that made the AiMesh Topology screen show up, without having to flash another firmware.

I got the steps from https://moreless.medium.com/flash-tm-ac-1900-to-rt-ac68u-to-use-aimesh-80b84387358a

Commands:

cat /dev/mtd5 > /jffs/mtd5_backup.bin
scp /jffs/mtd5_backup.bin <<DESIRED_REMOTE_LOCATION>> # save the file just in case...
mkdir /tmp/asus_jffs
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock5 /tmp/asus_jffs
rm -rf /tmp/asus_jffs/*
sync && umount /tmp/asus_jffs
rm -rf /jffs/.sys/RT-AC68U
nvram unset fw_check && nvram commit && reboot

After reboot, I used a web browser to access the AiMesh page and the Topology screen showed up!

AC86U was still showing odmpid=ASUS, so I had to perform a few additional steps:

1. cat /dev/mtd0 > original_cfe.bin
2. Upload original_cfe.bin to https://cfeditor.feng.si/ to get new_cfe.bin (with 1.0.2.0 US AiMesh)
3. Upload new_cfe.bin
4. chmod u+x mtd-write
5. ./mtd-write new_cfe.bin boot

Credit for the steps: https://www.bayareatechpros.com/ac1900-to-ac68u/
This link has a download with the "mtd-write" binary if you need it.

Afterwards, I was able to setup the AC68U as an AiMesh node.

I think I realize that these steps are well documented in various posts (in this forum and elsewhere) already. I just missed some of the posts initially, so I ended up with a bit of trial-and-error.

The AiMesh node is using Merlin just fine, even though I read that converted TM-AC1900 are not officially supported.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online