What's new

Allow a small set of websites to specific devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apcr.com

Occasional Visitor
My 16yo son is currently banned from the internet for being a shirthead.

I have his devices shut off in Parental Controls using time scheduling @ 0 time. This works.

He is whinging to me that he needs Messenger so he can stay in touch with his friends. For the sake of my own peace of mind I am considering this, but lack the know-how to solve the problem of how to do it.

Is it possible with ASUS WRT Merlin to allow, say, a small subset of sites, while disallowing everything else?

(No "parental advice" please.Just looking for a technical solution to this).

Thankyou

Last edited:
If you can set his devices to static IPs, you could use the Network Service Filter to block access to port 80 and 443, leaving other ports open (which would allow IM services to still connect on whichever ports they use).

Allowing a specific subset of websites will be a lot of work however, you'd have to collect their IP address - that might be difficult as some sites use load balancing, so they have multiple IPs. And you'd have to manually implement that through scripting.

If you can set his devices to static IPs, you could use the Network Service Filter to block access to port 80 and 443, leaving other ports open (which would allow IM services to still connect on whichever ports they use)..

Thanks for your reply.

If I turn his device on in time controls, will adding these settings block those two ports, allowing IM and disallowing web?

https://i.imgur.com/TwmJzmZ.png

In theory I think it should, you will have to test it - I never really used the NSFW.

Tried it. It certainly blocks web, but unfortunately also blocks Facebook Messenger, which is the main app he wants to use.

That means Facebook Manager must be relying on port 443 to communicate.

You could try adding facebook to the restricted site list in the OpenDNS settings and see if that will let messenger through but block facebook. Of course, that depends on whether or not you also use facebook.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!