What's new

amtm amtm 4.5.2 - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu, May 02, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does a reboot via the GUI help?

amtm is now very very slow (more than a minute) to show the various versions status when using option U but still not showing a minor update for amtm.
View attachment 53577
View attachment 53579
Was not like that earlier this morning...
Using the a command, what release date is shown? 10th or 11th?
After that use the reboot command in amtm.

Using the a command, what release date is shown? 10th or 11th?
After that use the reboot command in amtm.
It show October 10:
1697054706171.png

I do not see a reboot command, do you mean the reset options (and use option 1 to only reset amtm?):
1697054928254.png

I do not see a reboot command, do you mean the reset options (and use option 1 to only reset amtm?):
Just enter reboot, it’s a hidden command. It’s always been there in amtm and Diversion.

Just enter reboot, it’s a hidden command. It’s always been there in amtm and Diversion.
OK, will do it later tonight since my wife is on a video conference call at this time, thanks.

I was also experimenting amtm's slowness after the upgrade.
Rebooting the router helped.

Yup, reboot. 1st thing to 'test'.

It's moved up 3 spots since July 2020. :)

This is a very small thing I came across when resetting everything on my AX86Pro and a new SSD. If I use amtm to install Diversion, I get this message:
Code:
Diversion requires the Entware repository installed. Enter ep to install Entware now.
When I enter ep, I get this message:
Code:
Note if you plan to install Diversion on this router, install Diversion first. It includes the installation of Entware.

This is a very small thing I came across when resetting everything on my AX86Pro and a new SSD. If I use amtm to install Diversion, I get this message:
Code:
Diversion requires the Entware repository installed. Enter ep to install Entware now.
When I enter ep, I get this message:
Code:
Note if you plan to install Diversion on this router, install Diversion first. It includes the installation of Entware.
Remnant of a soon bygone time. Diversion currently can install Entware, next version 5.0 shoves that burden over to amtm.
Thanks, I‘ll remove that hint with the next amtm release.

Hi @thelonelycoder, um I hope I'm right here. Just wanted to suggest a new option for your Reboot scheduler: Let the user choose if he wants to halt the router instead of doing a reboot. :) That's what I would love to have as an option. :)

Hi @thelonelycoder, um I hope I'm right here. Just wanted to suggest a new option for your Reboot scheduler: Let the user choose if he wants to halt the router instead of doing a reboot. :) That's what I would love to have as an option. :)
Please read this thread and the linked other discussion within about the halt command and its usefulness.
I know from experience that older router models do not completely power down, e.g the WAN and LAN interfaces stays up, suggesting to the network that the router is still active - despite it not processing any requests. While newer models shut WAN and LAN down, they (at least my RT-AX86S) keep the power on for USB devices.

I find this an extremely niche option and am not (yet) convinced to implement it into amtm.

Hello! First of all thank you very much for your reply. Very much appreciated! :)

I am aware of the discussions around halt or not halt. 👍 But in my case halting is the only reasonable opportunity since power simply gets cut off here at a certain point at night. Well, it's the way it is ... much to my regret, too. And before power is taken away externally I simply need to halt the router to unmout attached drives, etc. in a cleaner way.

I've seen your script and I thought wow, that's so close to what I need. All it would take for you is just a simple option to let the user decide whether the router should be rebooted or halted. The majority, of course, will select reboot as their option, but there's maybe a few out there who'd find the other option useful, too. And if you leave it to them what they choose, everyone is happy. :)

Hello! First of all thank you very much for your reply. Very much appreciated! :)

I am aware of the discussions around halt or not halt. 👍 But in my case halting is the only reasonable opportunity since power simply gets cut off here at a certain point at night. Well, it's the way it is ... much to my regret, too. And before power is taken away externally I simply need to halt the router to unmout attached drives, etc. in a cleaner way.

I've seen your script and I thought wow, that's so close to what I need. All it would take for you is just a simple option to let the user decide whether the router should be rebooted or halted. The majority, of course, will select reboot as their option, but there's maybe a few out there who'd find the other option useful, too. And if you leave it to them what they choose, everyone is happy. :)
It would be a relatively small change in my rs script. Let me ponder the merits and consequences.

But @slytho said in this post that simply putting the halt command in the crontab didn't work. So it sounds like this is an indirect way of getting you to fix a problem that he wasn't able to do?
No it isn't. I just saw the reboot scheduler today for the first time after I browsed through the amtm program list. And the reason I ask is because I simply find amtm great and things coming out of one hand. :) That's cool!

I don't think adding an option to the reboot scheduler would fix a completely different problem. I don't know what makes you think that. I assume reboot scheduler will simply call halt or reboot. Same as cru. But reboot scheduler brings it under the hood of amtm and makes it a lot easier to maintain. That is my reason to ask for it. I hope that makes it clearer to you ...

I don't think adding an option to the reboot scheduler would fix a completely different problem. I don't know what makes you think that. I assume reboot scheduler will simply call halt or reboot. Same as cru. But reboot scheduler brings it under the hood of amtm and makes it a lot easier to maintain. That is my reason to ask for it. I hope that makes it clearer to you ...
But at the end of the day (based on your other thread) this won't work. So I see this as the same problem, just created by two different routes. In the first instance you were adding the halt command to the crontab yourself. In the second instance you're suggesting that the very same command be added to the crontab by using amtm. The end result is identical. Or am I completely missing the point.

And at the end of the day reboot scheduler could use 'exec halt' as command and then both routes could work.

And reboot scheduler is not the culprit here.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!