What's new

An idea for a VOIP project!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Latvian

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

I need an idea of how to make a simple voip project that I can use in a written/oral presentation in my schhol. I'm asked to privde a 50 hours of practical work in a voip project that implements the SIP protocol.

Any ideas and help will be appreciated.

Thanks

What level of project are you seeking? Implementing something using existing software? Or writing something from scratch?

Asterisk / Trixbox would be an obvious suggestion. All you really need is an old box to host Trixbox on. From there, you could theoretically setup a VOIP system to handle a 500 person call center. Trixbox CE is free to download. You could even download the pro version (which is free to small environments) where you can brand your own interface to look like the school. All sorts of things. And yes, asterisk uses SIP.

Basically you could do whatever your imagination thinks of.

I did a similar thing in my basement. I used Elastix (just another alternative Asterisk appliance to Trixbox), and a Sipura SPA3000 and Linksys IP Phone.

It was very interesting and satisfying to have my first VoIP baby up and running.

Enjoy!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!