What's new

Android phone can't see 5Ghz network after Marshmallow update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ian Manning

Occasional Visitor
I've just updated my LG G4 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow, and it now no longer sees the 5Ghz network on my RT-AC68U - only the 2.4Ghz network. My laptop has no problem connecting to the 5Ghz network. I'm running 380.57.

Any idea why the Android update may have borked access to my 5Ghz network?

Any idea why the Android update may have borked access to my 5Ghz network?
I recall this kind of issues from the past - not shure if it's the true in your case: But a factory reset of the smartphone brought back the WLAN... :rolleyes:

Ran into this on a older android tablet what had happened is it no longer saw the upper 5 ghz channels but it did see the lower channels might be worth a try.

OK so I tried checking the "Auto select channel including DFS channels" box and now the phone can see the 5GHz network.
I have no idea why???

OK so I tried checking the "Auto select channel including DFS channels" box and now the phone can see the 5GHz network.
I have no idea why???

Maybe changing that setting triggered a restart of the wireless and/or the WiFi AP, and maybe it was the restart that fixed things.

The router switched to a different channel. For what ever reason you had the same issue I did Android locked out certain channels on the 5 GHZ band.

I recall this kind of issues from the past - not shure if it's the true in your case: But a factory reset of the smartphone brought back the WLAN

Before doing a factory reset (which erases everything) try turning it off and removing the battery, letting it sit for a couple of minutes, and then powering it back up...