What's new

Another RT-AC68P (U) question--connecting a printer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bruce White

Occasional Visitor
I'm having all sorts of trouble trying to get my printer to work connected to my RT-AC68P router. The router is hardwired to my computer, the printer is connected to the USB port on the router. I went through the ASUS EZ print utility setup. The router configuration page shows my printer is enabled, but I can't print to it--not even a test page.

My printer is an older HP LaserJet 1320. All the appropriate drivers are installed. The printer properties show it is connected to the DOT4_001 port. The printer periodically prints out a random page with a short row of smiley faces on the top of the page. Another computer wirelessly connected to my network was able to install the printer, but no test page printed when we asked it to.

Does it matter which USB port the printer is connected to on the router? I have it on the USB 2.0 port. A hard drive is on the USB 3 port. I've rebooted the computer and turned the printer off and then back on.

ASUS does not have very good documentation on troubleshooting this issue. They have fairly complete instructions, but the installation did not look exactly like their instructions.

I've searched on this forum and could not find the information I need.

Thank you again!

Bruce

plug the printer into your PC and share it on your home network is your best option here . Or buy a new wireless printer. I did and life is so much easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joined just to post this!

That printer supports LAN out of the box. Why don't you just plug a cat5 into printer and router and see what you can come up with?

That printer supports LAN out of the box. Why don't you just plug a cat5 into printer and router and see what you can come up with?
This truly is the easiest and most reliable solution. With an Ethernet connection to the router you will have a stable and fast connection without having to leave the PC your printer is attached to on 24/7. Often with a printer connected to a router's USB port you will not have full two way communications between the printer and the network.

As for a connection using WiFi just another source of aggravation and network congestion if both the device and printer are connected using Wifi. Use Wifi to connect portable devices to your network and then they can print using the printer on the wired LAN to reduce congestion.

ZachPA,

You got my hopes up! But then they were dashed by reality. I have the 1320, not the 1320n. The "n" model has built in Ethernet, the 1320 does not. The cost of a Jetdirect 170x printer server for my model is almost as much as just getting a replacement printer.

Thanks for the info, though! This is clarifying my situation greatly.

Bruce

A printer from the Windows 98 era will probably not work on any current router. :(

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-laserjet-1320/specs/

Amazingly, I finally managed to get my HP LaserJet 1320 to work using the ASUS RT-AC68P as a print server!

Originally, I had plugged the printer into the routers USB 3.0 port. Could not establish decent communication with the printer. However, it would randomly print out a line of about 10 to 30 smiley faces.

I then thought I'd try switching the printer to the USB 2.0 port. I was then able to successfully communicate with the printer, connect it properly and print. I just now got my wife's laptop to also communicate with the printer, so I believe I am good to go.

One other thing. While the printer was still on the USB 3.0 port, my wife tried unsuccessfully to print something. After I switched the printer to the 2.0 port, her document printed. Evidently the document was still in the print queue.

I was not able to use the ASUS EZ print utility for the connection. I had to use the LPR method, but it seems to be working just fine.

Thanks everyone for your input! Everyone's post helped give me ideas to try!

Bruce

Glad that you persevered and kept plugging away until a solution was found. :)

I didn't even think about you using the USB 3.0 port (in your first post you mention the opposite, actually).

Anyway, this thread will be great to show people they don't need to give up too easily.