What's new

Anybody using email notification with QTS 4.1 and Yahoo?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
I cannot get email notification to work at all and I'm not sure why.

I'm using the same settings as I was on my previous Buffalo NAS and it worked fine there.

Here are my settings:
Code:
Server:  smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 465
email: myemail@yahoo.com
username: myemail@yahoo.com
password: mypassword
connection:  SSL

Very, very odd.

I tried the pre-configured Yahoo profile from the drop down, I tried custom settings, I tried shortening my password since the QNAP doesn't like some of my 24-character passwords - nothing worked.

So I selected Gmail from the drop down, typed in my username and password and it worked.

Went back and selected the pre-configured Yahoo profile, typed in my username and password, and now it works.

Now I'm completely mystified.

Logged back in just now and tried it, it doesn't work anymore.

Tried Gmail and now it doesn't work either.

It appears that the test button under the SMTP Server config tab is just plain broken.

If I use the test button on the 3rd tab (the actual email notification tab), it works every time, with both Yahoo and Gmail.

I tested 3 times using smtp.comcast.net each time I clicked send test on both tabs and it worked.

Does Comcast use authentication, SSL, and/or a non-standard port?

One thing I noticed is that both Google and Yahoo use SSL on port 465.

Sorry to necro an old thread, but it's the encryption that is causing the email test to fail.

I've tried 2 area ISPs here with which I have accounts, in addition to Gmail and Yahoo.

Encryption on? Fail.

The funny thing is, email notification actually works just fine. Power went off for 2 seconds and I got a UPS alert from the NAS.

It's just the "test" applet on the first tab that doesn't work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!