What's new

Anyone know the original TX power of Tmobile's RT-AC68 Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FreshJR

Very Senior Member
I have a Tmobile TM-AC1900 which is a rebranded RT-AC68.

I changed the TMo firmware to asus (actually Merlin's fork) because I really wanted adaptive QOS and because we haven't gotten any security update for a long time.

The problem is that while I have gained many features, I also lost some 5ghz range.

The 5ghz fades out completely at some portions of my house instead of being low. I know this difference may be caused by something else that happened to occur at the same time of the firmware change, but does anyone know the T-mobile firmware's default antenna settings for 5ghz?

Currently on Merlins I get the following:
wl_txpower = 100 <- is this mW? Isn't new FCC max 80mW, which might explain lost range.
wl0_txpower = 100
wl1_txpower = 100
wl txpwer_target max 23.50 23.50 23.50 <-is this dbM (23.5dbm = 223mW = why so high?)

I do not want to reflash my original CFE and the tmobile firmware just find out. Even with this new occurance, I do not think I will sacrifice adaptive QOS and security for range. I just want to compare the values. Does anyone know them by chance?

Last edited:
Yes did NVRAM resets, no kept my old SSID's.

I have never touched TX power. The bar is all the way to the right and it says performance.

Yes did NVRAM resets, no kept my old SSID's.

I have never touched TX power. The bar is all the way to the right and it says performance.

Well you've changed firmware right? Maybe something changed and you need to adjust for it. This is merely a guess - but I handle close to 10 Asus wireless products and let me tell you they have insane power behind the wifi - it is not outside the realm of possibility that you need to slide that down a bit.

It is possible that the router may have chosen a different channel for 5GHz than what it was using as a TM router. Different channels have different power constraints. In general, the higher the channel number, the more likely it is permitted to run at higher power.

Mine is currently using Ch.149 for the control channel, with 80MHz width.
Very strong power output.

Currently on Merlins I get the following:
wl_txpower = 100 <- is this mW? Isn't new FCC max 80mW, which might explain lost range.
wl0_txpower = 100
wl1_txpower = 100
wl txpwer_target max 23.50 23.50 23.50 <-is this dbM (23.5dbm = 223mW = why so high?)

You can turn the knobs to 11 - but the firmware will just say - "yep" and still limit power to the regulatory domain the router is in...

It's in the closed source firmware inside the wifi chip itself, and this is nothing that anybody can change..