What's new

AP Mode Denied LAN Access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I tried that already, but because the IoT and the cameras need to be on separate routers, not necessarily on separate networks. This is because the 6 wireless cameras are constantly transmitting data and it creates an issue.

This is why the wireless cameras will need to be on a router with nothing else, which is why Router 2 is needed.

So only one router can have the cameras on it and the other router will have the IoTs and other wireless devices. So, doing it the way you are describing, I can only see one or the other, but not both.

Meaning, I can either see the cameras, but not the IoTs or vice versa.

No.

Anything on the second network can see anything on the first [edit: either] network. Always. Things on the first network can only see a thing on the second when that second-thing /starts/ the communication between them. But the first-network thing still will not have a clue how to reach that second-network thing directly - it will actually be communicating directly with the second /router/ itself. The second router will set up the reverse channel to that thing on its (the 2nd) network.

All you have to decide is which devices use which network.

So you're saying I should be able to see and communicate with a device connected to Router 1, 192.168.1.1 when I am connected to Router 2, 192.168.2.1?
This is done out of the gate?

the IoT and the cameras need to be on separate routers, not necessarily on separate networks. This is because the 6 wireless cameras are constantly transmitting data and it creates an issue.
Alternatively, you could set the second unit as an AP on the single network, using an SSID and channel(s) unique for the cameras' use. So long as they're all within acceptable reach you'll have your traffic-over-the-air isolation.

So you're saying I should be able to see and communicate with a device connected to Router 1, 192.168.1.1 when I am connected to Router 2, 192.168.2.1?
This is done out of the gate?
Yes. In the same fashion as being able to see any Internet service on any public network, from your computer as you do now.

also, what do you mean when you say....
starts/ the communication between them

It would be exactly like when you want to view the website snbforums.com from your browser. You knock on the door, it answers, and you visit; but it can't knock on your browser's door to start a (new) visit.

It would be exactly like when you want to view the website snbforums.com from your browser. You knock on the door, it answers, and you visit; but it can't knock on your browser's door to start a (new) visit.
by this, do you mean via firewall? Sorry, but I don't get the metaphor of knocking at the door. How do this apply to an actual situation where I need to communicate with a device?

When a thing wants to communicate with another, it finds the way to the other's address (IP address, like the street address of an apartment building), then it knocks on the specific "port" (like the intercom button to apartment 3B in the building) the service is listening for connections on. But the resident of apt. 3B can't use the intercom to reach you if you aren't already there pressing the button. Does that make enough sense?

Add: the second router has the first router's "street map" available, but not the other way around due to NAT.

You may have better luck trying my alternative suggestion if all you want to do is isolate some (airwave?) traffic flow.

Sorry, but the analogies do not make sense to me because of lack of knowledge in networking. I am sure for anyone else it makes perfect sense.
Can you just give an example without using streets or addresses or whatnot,... just something like.. "when trying to communicate with a device at 192.168.1.125, you would nee to do this... or that"

Router 2 has addresses in 192.168.2.x
Router 1 has them in 192.168.1.x

Router 2 itself is part of 192.168.1.x so it knows about the other things also in 192.168.1.x

When something in 192.168.2.x wants to reach something in 192.168.1.x it's a done deal; router 2 can set it up.

When something in 192.168.1.x wants to reach something in 192.168.2.x router 1 says "can't help you get there, I don't have any knowledge of a '192.168.2.x' network."

I guess it was difficult for me to grasp because in my mind, Router 1, 192.168.1.1 should have all knowledge of what's connected to it, which includes 192.168.2.1.. and Router 2 should be the one that would not have any knowledge of Router 1 haha... but, it's the other way around... very confusing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!