What's new

AP Purchase Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BigDCA

Occasional Visitor
Our family recently moved into a new-construction home. As part of the purchase process, I walked the model and determined where my WiFi connection would need some help. I had a CAT6 run put into each of those locations. After moving in, it looks like the WiFi does indeed need some help in one of the areas. The other is backyard coverage and that's on the backburner for now.

I've got an Asus RT-68U serving as the main router. The location in question is above our great room on the ceiling, so I'm looking for the smoke detector type (is there some technical name for this form factor?). I'm looking to boost the 2.4 and 5 GHz coverage there, especially with the recent Ring Doorbell purchase we made that is about 10 feet away from the future great room AP location.

Looking at the wireless ranker, it seems like the Ubiquiti AC Pro is the best? Any gotcha's I should be aware of for my setup? It also looks like the Ubiquiti AC Lite gives similar cost for significantly less cost, so I may want to go with the Lite to save cost.

Thanks in advance!

Lots of info on this forum on the Ubiquiti products...as well as on the Ubiquiti forums.

There is a price difference in the AC-PRO, AC-LITE, and AC-LR due to difference features on each. Unless you have 3x3 clients, you probably do not need the AC-PRO. The AC-LR in "theory" helps when the clients are smaller/mobile devices and/or they are operating on the edge of usable signal. For most users, just stick with the AC-LITE if in doubt.

The main gotchas with the Ubiquiti Unfi product line are that they aren't quite as obvious on how to manage and configure them. You will either need to run a dedicated controller, or configure them via an app on your phone. The perks are that as you add more and more APs, they are all managed from a single console and can easily share configurations.

Lots of info on this forum on the Ubiquiti products...as well as on the Ubiquiti forums.

There is a price difference in the AC-PRO, AC-LITE, and AC-LR due to difference features on each. Unless you have 3x3 clients, you probably do not need the AC-PRO. The AC-LR in "theory" helps when the clients are smaller/mobile devices and/or they are operating on the edge of usable signal. For most users, just stick with the AC-LITE if in doubt.

The main gotchas with the Ubiquiti Unfi product line are that they aren't quite as obvious on how to manage and configure them. You will either need to run a dedicated controller, or configure them via an app on your phone. The perks are that as you add more and more APs, they are all managed from a single console and can easily share configurations.
How do I tell if I have 3X3 clients? I do have some new phones (iPhones and Galaxy), in addition to the new Ring Doorbell Pro I mentioned. I'm having trouble determining what devices have what WiFi antenna configurations. I'm willing to pay the extra $40 for the pro to provide a little future-proofing if that is the way devices are going.

look up the specs, google the wireless connection terms used, read the wiki.
what is the model on the Galaxy ?

It's not that easy to find specs on phones and mobile devices, particularly for non-technical people.

3x3 devices will pretty much be limited to more recent MacBook Pro models. Phones are 2x2 at best.

That said, a three-stream AP can provide more coverage (range) than 2x2, even with two or one stream devices.

With the Ring doorbell 10 feet away, I'd say you'll be ok with the AC Lite.

I guess I'm not really sure what I'm looking at when I see the specs. I'm hoping for a little more direction on deciphering the specs.
Unfortunately many phone manufacturers are not advertising the actual specs of the Wi-Fi components in their devices other than the standard (802.11n, 802.11ac). Phones also tend to use oddly repackaged chips making it difficult to tell what the real capabilities are by looking at the components. I don't think any phones support 3x3:3 currently nor are they likely to in the near future. They are often 1x1:1 or 2x2:2.

That said, an AP with more transmit/receive chains and spatial streams can provide a performance benefit even for clients with fewer chains/streams. SmallNetBuilder's test process uses a 2x2:2 client and its review notes, "The PRO's higher performance could be due to higher receive gain from its extra RF chain."

If cost matters, get the Lite. If the price of the Pro doesn't deter you then get that.

Just wanted to check back in to say that I went with the Pro and installed it last night. Install went fine, though they did seem to think that the only ceiling you'd ever mount on was a drop ceiling with panels. The device fired right up and the it was super easy to configure the device using the app. Initial non-scientific tests showed great coverage in a previous almost complete dead spot. We'll keep an eye on it. Pics attached for fun. Thanks for all the consideration and advice!

BeforeInstall.jpg DuringInstall.jpg AfterInstall.jpg

Just wanted to check back in to say that I went with the Pro and installed it last night. Install went fine, though they did seem to think that the only ceiling you'd ever mount on was a drop ceiling with panels. The device fired right up and the it was super easy to configure the device using the app. Initial non-scientific tests showed great coverage in a previous almost complete dead spot. We'll keep an eye on it. Pics attached for fun. Thanks for all the consideration and advice!

View attachment 10915 View attachment 10916 View attachment 10917
Did you put the mount on the box plate?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I removed the actual plate and mounted the device over the box where the line runs into. Why do you ask?
I am getting ready to mount a few on finished walls and curious on what others have done. Previously mine were installed in unfinished areas just screwed to the wall. Very curious how others are mounting these over wall boxes. To the wall next to the box? On the plate covering the box?

check for cooling passages on the mount side. Many times there is a plate provided that ensures adequate flow path when flush mounted on wall or ceiling.

I am getting ready to mount a few on finished walls and curious on what others have done. Previously mine were installed in unfinished areas just screwed to the wall. Very curious how others are mounting these over wall boxes. To the wall next to the box? On the plate covering the box?
Gotcha. I mounted it right over the box, removing the plate of course, to avoid having the ugly plate showing on the ceiling with a wire coming out of it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!