What's new

Apple TVs Are On The Way, For Reals

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seems you are correct. Glad I just checked before mine arrives. Probably won't bother with it. Its too crippled for my liking. Maybe some hacking will open this up in the future.

Last edited:
Seems you are correct. Glad I just checked before mine arrives. Probably won't bother with it. Its too crippled wfor my liking. Maybe some hacking will open this up in the future.
Where did you find this info? I suspected that it won't play from network shares or DLNA servers.

Reading between the lines on the Apple TV spec page and perusing the forums on Macrumors and Appleinsider. Seems pretty obvious that iTunes and a PC are required.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

And it seems that only H.264 is fully supported for HD video. So, that means you'd need to reformat most videos downloaded (outside of iTunes) in order to view on the AppleTV. Yummy. Thanks Apple.

Thanks, Claykin. Not surprising. The value add for me is AirPlay once they ship it.

The Computers option of the Apple TV menu supports play from iTunes only. It also looks like it wants content to reside on the computer running iTunes. My iTunes files site on a QNAP NAS and iTunes finds them just fine. But all the content doesn't show up on the Apple TV.

The Computers option of the Apple TV menu supports play from iTunes only. It also looks like it wants content to reside on the computer running iTunes. My iTunes files site on a QNAP NAS and iTunes finds them just fine. But all the content doesn't show up on the Apple TV.

Which content doesn't show up?

Anandtech has a review today and he sez
We can't even run our media streamer test suite on the device since it doesn't support streaming anything outside of iTunes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!