What's new

Apps for DIY - recommendations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
For a DIY: Is there any freeware/cheap shareware, for Windows or Linux, that has the key features of the GUI-based software in QNAP and Synology?

No ideas??

Sorry, not familiar with Synology's or QNap's GUI, not sure what software you are looking for.

Are you talking about their admin WebGUI, included packages, something that runs on clients, or the underlying OS capabilities?

Both the GUI for admin, and their suite of applications. Both Synology and QNAP have on-line NASes for interactive demo uses - if you want to see.

Both the GUI for admin, and their suite of applications. Both Synology and QNAP have on-line NASes for interactive demo uses - if you want to see.

I took a look at the Synology demo, very cool desktop approach, thank you for pointing it out to me.

All of the functionality that GUI offers is available through FreeNAS, logging, media server, etc. But it is not integrated, as it is in the Synology GUI. Openfiler offers no where near the degree of integration, or even the functionality through the GUI.

Ubuntu does offer all of the functionality, but not through a web interface.

The closest I've seen to something as slick as the Synology interface is that of NexentaStor, you can find screen shots of it on the web - and in their user guide, but it is only close, it still looks like a web interface.

I think the compelling thing about consumer solutions, which you point out, is that they are highly integrated and supported. But that comes at a price, DIY solutions tend to be significantly cheaper, and sometimes less capable, but they are open and often without the same limitations. I can upgrade the memory, add software to the shell, run other interfaces ( like fibre ) on a DIY solution - outside the scope of a consumer product.

Consumer products try to appeal to the widest category of users, from novice to expert. DIY solutions appeal to the technical hobbyists and expert users.

Does that help?

Thanks. I'll look at NexentaStor.

I re-looked at FreeNAS yesterday - It's sort of comparable to Synology/QNAP's suite of GUI/tools. Its BSD won't run on my Intel motherboard mini-ITX box - doesn't find the SATA drive. FreeNAS also seems very RAID5-centric, versus a DIY with just one drive or RAID1.
And what's FreeNAS' get-well plan with Oracle dumping ZFS (along with Solaris)?
Oh my, the years I spent hovering over a SparcStation and Solaris.

EDIT: Hmm, NexentaStor's license cost is $1725 and up!

Last edited:
EDIT: Hmm, NexentaStor's license cost is $1725 and up!

NexentaStor has a free community version that support storage up to 18TB

I'm surprised FreeNAS fails to see your SATA drives, what controller/Chipset is in your mini-itx box? pfSense also runs on FreeBSD and has no problem with my SuperMicro Atom board.

I'm surprised FreeNAS fails to see your SATA drives, what controller/Chipset is in your mini-itx box? pfSense also runs on FreeBSD and has no problem with my SuperMicro Atom board.
Ah, didn't see the free version - will go looking at www.nexenta.org. I see that it too depends on Solaris and ZFS which Oracle seems to have dumped. Maybe it continues on in the open source community. Assuming Oracle's lawyers leave it alone.

The Intel mini-ITX motherboard is the old original Intel D945GCLF, and I think the controller chip is the 82801GB. FreeNAS says it has a driver for that. Does FreeNAS/BSD dynamically load drivers - I just ran the bootable ISO image download.

Last edited:
Ah, didn't see the free version - will go looking at www.nexenta.org. I see that it too depends on Solaris and ZFS which Oracle seems to have dumped. Maybe it continues on in the open source community. Assuming Oracle's lawyers leave it alone.

The Intel mini-ITX motherboard is the old original Intel D945GCLF, and I think the controller chip is the 82801GB. FreeNAS says it has a driver for that. Does FreeNAS/BSD dynamically load drivers - I just ran the bootable ISO image download.

Community Edition

Yes, FreeBSD handles this through LKMs, Loadable Kernel Modules. I would try the install disk, if the SATA support is there the disks will show up as an install option. I'd be very surprised if they don't, it is the drivers for newer interfaces that tend to be hard to come by.

My understanding is, Oracle has dump OpenSolaris, but code branched before they revoked the license is still out there (like OpenIndiana and Nexenta), problem is that each has to maintain their own code base ( the core OS is not separate anymore) When Oracle was battling Microsoft they championed open-source, now that they are king of their hill they are singing a different song. Shame that.

Let me know how you progress, I'm going to be putting together a NexentaStor box myself shortly.

Last edited:
Let me know how you progress, I'm going to be putting together a NexentaStor box myself shortly.

I have been running a mirrored 2x500GB HDD NexentaStor NAS for 10 months now, http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=3963, so if either of you have any questions, fire away.

Also, that 18TB is only USED capacity, so you could have a 30TB pool, but if you are only using 15TB then you still don't have to pay anything.

Ah success. I tried again to get FreeNAS running. It finally occurred to me that on the screen, amidst all the cryptic displays of messages, was a clue that it was stuck re-reading the CD. I looked at the CD, and yes, it's activity LED was going madly. Of course, *nix was displaying "SCSI Hardware Failure" rather than "Unreadable CD media".

So I made a new CD and was able to install/run FreeNAS. No NIC issue- it found the add-in gigE NIC. I made a bootable USB drive. And the admin web server worked. Now to fiddle with it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online