What's new

Asus 4G Router slower than Android Hotspot? Please Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

santamanta

New Around Here
Hey Friends,

I am switching to 4G since cable internet around here in Belgium is very slow.

They just released an Unlimited 4G Data package which i subscribed to. I have 3 Different SIM cards I can use at the same time for Data.

Before buying the routers I simply used my phone (Galaxy S7 Edge) as a Hotspot and I was getting close to 60 Mbps Down and 20 Mbps Up which is a very decent upgrade from my fixed line (9Mbps/0.5 Mbps)
happy.gif

I purchased 2 different 4G Routers for a more permanent solution:

- Asus 4G-AC55U
- Huawei B315s-22

Both are very current devices with good configuration options.

After configuring both routers and testing them to death I don't understand why both routers only manage to get half the speed of the android hotspot. I tried changing the APN, different networks etc. etc. nothing seems to help. I know my way around home networks but I can't seem to be able to fix this problem

What's really weird is that when using the router I will for example get half of the speed for downloads from different high speed servers and speedtest.net as opposed to the hotspot but when streaming a youtube 4k video the routers will preload the video at the same speed of the hotspot (60 Mbps)

The same for google Playstore. When I download a big game with my phone using the Internal 4G connection i get 60Mbps download speeds. Also when I Tether with my Android 4G --> Wifi --> PC I get the same 60Mbps.

As soon as I use the router it hovers around 10 Mbps at most but when I preview the Video for the game in the playstore using the same router that downloads at 10 Mbps it will preload the video at the full 60 Mbps. I don't get it.

How can I achieve the same speed of my android hotspot?
The Routers seem to be able to deliver the speed but only for certain websites/sources while the same 4G connection on the phone will bring the full speed.

I am inclined to use my old S6 as a "router" for my entire home network because of the speeds I get but it's not a viable solution for many reasons (setting up multiple PCs, Wifi Signal strengh etc.)

When using the S6 as a Hotspot, surfing the web seems most responsive and I get the best bandwith...
Using the routers it seems like the connection is choking a bit. Latency goes to around 100MS and images on websites seem to load a bit slower. When entering a URL and pressing enter it takes it a few seconds to react.

This is very frustrating and I would appreciate your input.

Thanks for your Ideas!

I am switching to 4G since cable internet around here in Belgium is very slow.

They just released an Unlimited 4G Data package which i subscribed to. I have 3 Different SIM cards I can use at the same time for Data.

Before buying the routers I simply used my phone (Galaxy S7 Edge) as a Hotspot and I was getting close to 60 Mbps Down and 20 Mbps Up which is a very decent upgrade from my fixed line (9Mbps/0.5 Mbps)
happy.gif

I purchased 2 different 4G Routers for a more permanent solution:

- Asus 4G-AC55U
- Huawei B315s-22

Both are very current devices with good configuration options.

After configuring both routers and testing them to death I don't understand why both routers only manage to get half the speed of the android hotspot. I tried changing the APN, different networks etc. etc. nothing seems to help. I know my way around home networks but I can't seem to be able to fix this problem

Something to consider - not all UICC's (e.g. SIM card) are created equal - this might be a provisioning issue with the USIM profile (which controls LTE) on the card/cards...

I would suggest contacting the Telecom provider, and have the following four items handy...

IMEI - this is the "address" of the LTE/4G/3G modem inside the device - this is normally printed on the label, along with the device service number
ICCID - this is the Card ID, and it's printed on the card - typically they'll start with 89 (which indicates that the UICC is meant for telecommunications)
MSISDN - this is the directory number of the card, e.g. the number that would would dial if trying to call it as a phone... this might also be your billing number reference
IMSI - this is similar to the MSISDN, in some cases it is the same, but this is the identifier that the carrier uses

Normally, all they need is two of the four - the IMEI and ICCID will usually get things moving with regards to updating the card profile, or determining of a replacement card is needed (not all UICC's can support the larger USIM data structures)