What's new

Asus AC3200 Lock ups.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adampk17

I have an Asus AC3200 running with the latest version of Merlin firmware.

Occasionally the router will lock up. This happens maybe once or twice a week. All devices lose connection to the Internet and the router's webpage won't load either. Unplugging the router for a bit and plugging it back in solves the issue until the next episode.

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue with this router? Suggestions for first steps?

Thanks

Last edited:
i have this same with 87U and latest RMerlin fw

Seems to be associated with high CPU use for me. With most of the high-end features turned off, this stopped happening. I have no guest wifi, no DoS, and have turned off all the Trend Micro features except for website filtering.

Seems to be associated with high CPU use for me. With most of the high-end features turned off, this stopped happening. I have no guest wifi, no DoS, and have turned off all the Trend Micro features except for website filtering.

Have you seen any other threads discussing this issue? I'm almost ready to sell this router, so far it's been the worst I've ever owned.

I am running the stock 4950 on the 87r with similar issues, aiprotect emails halt and even the webfilter stops working. 10x adressing doesnt work with firefox and the parental time schedule tends to revert to previous configurations. I was up in the 7xxx FW but had the same issues. I wanna go merlin but I think im gonna stay where I am until we get caught up on the bugs... awesome features but constant reboots needed, I wanna set it and forget it...

Have you seen any other threads discussing this issue? I'm almost ready to sell this router, so far it's been the worst I've ever owned.
Hi Adampk17,

Did you try to press factory default settings?

If problem still there i suggest you RMA your router.

Hi Adampk17,

Did you try to press factory default settings?

If problem still there i suggest you RMA your router.

That's not a bad idea, except that I'd be out of a router for 2-3 weeks during the RMA process. Unless Asus offers advance replacement. Kinda doubt it though.

You can always call your local service center ask them if they have spare stock for exchange before heading down.

I have the same issue with latest factor firmware. But, only experience once. All the devices connected to AC3200 lost internet connection.
Problem got resolved after reboot the router.

All Asus offered was the advice to reset the router to factory defaults. I didn't have the patience to go back and forth with them.

Anyway, I changed ISPs from Frontier FIOS with an Actiontec router in bridge mode in front of the Asus to Comcast. It's been about 3 weeks and no lock-ups since the switch. Fingers crossed.

I don't know if there is a logical explanation for switching ISPs, even with the bridge in front of the router, making a difference.

I've seen the 3200 go bananas on my modem at lease expiration. I'm beginning to think the "aggressive" dhcp setting (on by default) may be in play here...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've had three lock-ups in the past week [emoji24]. They all seemed to occur during heavier than usual WAN usage periods.

Ugh. Mine went AWOL a few minutes ago...no good reason. Oddly, uplink was ok, but downlink just lags. Looks like 9313 FW isn't so great. May try going back to Merlin 378.56_2, which I didn't hit any issues on.

More crashes, buffer overrun, corrupted log (garbage in middle of text here and there), dhcp dropping out, random reboots, I've seen it all today. 9313 gets the official thumbs down! 9135 was more stable...

Thinking more about this...it's possible that a bug related to using the new Android app to check on the router may be exposing some problems. My worst issues happened and are much more frequent since I started using that app. Perhaps there's a bug in whatever code in the router supports that app. This could all be a coincidence, but I'm going to try removing the app from all my devices (so I don't accidentally access it) and see if there's a change.

I did the same thing after last night's midnight crash. So far nothing weird yet, though I have deliberately avoided logging into Web UI to check. Just looking for stable operation.

I had many issues with my 87U dropping clients and losing connection to wan (the blue wan light would go red). I tried getting my ISP to put the modem into bridge mode.

I always point out when I give advice on here I'm likely the last guy that should be giving advice. I know very little about networking....

Having said that this may help some so... I was speaking to a tech guy with my ISP and I was told bridge mode is really not a "thing" that works... My router and modem are conflicting. Bridge mode is a simple fix but it only works some of the time. He couldn't explain to me why (or he did and it went over my head, I don't know). I was told to really fix the issue I needed to get a static ip. I was frustrated and at the point where I was willing to try anything. I scheduled an appointment to have my ISP come out to my home and make the hardware and software changes needed to get a static ip.

Since that day my 87U has had zero dropping issues. It has had up times of 30 plus days. The only reason it doesn't keeping going is I made a change and rebooted it or I updated the firmware. It really has been rock solid ever since in my environment.

Maybe its worth a shot before spending 300.00 or more on a new wireless router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!