What's new

ASUS AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

terminator8

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I just bought a good-condition AC87U router from a guy. Everything is working fine, but the buttons on the front are confusing me. When I press and hold the LED or WIFI button for 2 seconds it doesn't do anything, instant pressing also does nothing.
Sometimes when pressed the LED button for 2-3 seconds it restarts. Or sometimes the power light stars blinking as well. It's totally random about what the buttons do.
So I thought it might be the power issue so I used a different post for the adapter and when it turned on, the buttons worked fine for a couple of minutes and then it was still the same (weren't doing anything when pressed).
I flashed the latest firmware from ASUS, now I have no clue why is it behaving like this.
Or maybe it's just that it's hanging too much? Because when on the router configuration page, it stops responding.

Need some urgent help on this matter, please. So that if something is wrong with the router, I can return it.

Hi, I just bought a good-condition AC87U router from a guy. Everything is working fine, but the buttons on the front are confusing me. When I press and hold the LED or WIFI button for 2 seconds it doesn't do anything, instant pressing also does nothing.
Sometimes when pressed the LED button for 2-3 seconds it restarts. Or sometimes the power light stars blinking as well. It's totally random about what the buttons do.
So I thought it might be the power issue so I used a different post for the adapter and when it turned on, the buttons worked fine for a couple of minutes and then it was still the same (weren't doing anything when pressed).
I flashed the latest firmware from ASUS, now I have no clue why is it behaving like this.
Or maybe it's just that it's hanging too much? Because when on the router configuration page, it stops responding.

Need some urgent help on this matter, please. So that if something is wrong with the router, I can return it.

Have you Hard Reset the firmware before configuring it from scratch?

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

That router is end-of-life. I would not be buying it now.

OE

Have you Hard Reset the firmware before configuring it from scratch?

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

That router is end-of-life. I would not be buying it now.

OE
I did the hard reset already (WPS method). Actually I bought this router because it was supported by ExpressVPN. And to be honest, my main usage for this is to have a VPN router just for my laptop, nothing more. It's just that I am curious that why those buttons are malfunctioning. When I used the firmware of ExpressVPN, those buttons literally are useless completely, even rebooting or anything doesn't do anything.
So I am wondering maybe is it the firmware that's causing this issue or something? Because if it's an end-of-life router, probably it may have this type of bug or malfunctioning etc.

So that if something is wrong with the router, I can return it.

Perhaps the switches don't make proper contact anymore. The contacts oxidize, this is an old router.

to have a VPN router just for my laptop, nothing more

Why you need a router for this? Just run the VPN software on the laptop. Better control and much faster.

Return it.

This model was never on any recommended lists (here, in these forums).

I have the same router, your symptoms indicate that something is wrong with it. Back in its day it was a pretty nice router but it's pretty much history now, return it and stop spending any more time on it. Get something new so you get the latest security protocols.

This model was never on any recommended lists (here, in these forums).

It was a popular unit in the day - but it also had a bit of a troubled life due to its complexity - it was an AC68U with a Quantenna based access point lego'ed on to the same circuit board - so it was running two linux images, one for the Broadcom ARM based SoC, and another running independently on the Quantenna ARC-based chipset...

It was pretty interesting that Asus engineers got it to work at all...

If I recall there were some lifecycle issues with the AC87U as well, with the radio's dying out over time, mostly the 2.4 if I recall...

I agree with @ColinTaylor @OzarkEdge and @Tech9 - this one is a pass, I wouldn't consider putting this into any kind of usage on the LAN, even as an Access Point, as the hardware is pretty old, and as a VPN end-point, it's going to be pretty slow...

It was pretty interesting that Asus engineers got it to work at all...
Quantenna had always intended that SoC to be used that way. Their SDK explicitly provided an RPC API so the host side (running Asuswrt) could interface to manage and configure the Quantenna side (which was running on their own CPU, an ARC 700 running at 500 MHz). Their API library was very well documented BTW, and entirely open source. Kudos to Quantenna for that.

Quantenna provided two ways to connects the two: either over PCI-E, or over RGMII. Asus chose the latter (while Netgear picked the former), which had a few drawbacks, one of them being a 1 Gbps bottleneck between the Broadcom/Asuswrt routing side and the Quantenna wifi/networking side. That single gigabit link had to carry the 4 streams 5 GHz traffic, and also the LAN traffic between the Broadcom and the Realtek extra switch (if I remember correctly, my memory might be wrong on that Realtek part).

The QTN SOC also suffered from a few issues:

1) MU-MIMO got implemented and delivered 1-2 years later than initially intended post-release.
2) The RGMII design required more power, and was more prone to temperature issues if I recall what a QTN engineer mentioned once
3) There were a few major bugs over time with the wifi driver, where things broke down specifically with Android clients if I remember correctly. Both Asus and QTN engineers worked together for quite some time to track down and address this issue.

At the time, I remember mine had a slightly more limited range than the usual Broadcom SOC, but I was getting pretty good throughput from it with a dual stream client.

It was a quite interesting design which at the time served a purpose (they would initially be first to market with a working MU-MIMO implementation, and also I believe they were offering 4 streams while BCM were still only offering 3 streams max).

Asus planned to release another router based on the Quantenna new 10G SOC, but that plan never made it to market. Some remnants of this projet can still be seen here and there within Asuswrt's code.

Fun fact: the initial RT-AC87U I received from Asus was a bare pcboard, as they were in the process of redesigning the case. For a while, my main router was that bare pcboard sitting on an antistatic bag, in my living room. Sadly, I eventually killed it by accidentally overwriting the CFE while trying to erase the JFFS partition. That early batch also used white LEDs while the final release used blue LEDs.

Some HW info I have in my old notes:

Code:
# telnet 169.254.39.2

Entering character mode
Escape character is '^]'.

soc1 login: root

BusyBox v1.10.3 (2014-06-13 11:12:36 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

quantenna # uname -a
Linux soc1 2.6.35.12 #2 Fri Jun 13 11:20:34 CST 2014 arc unknown
quantenna # cat /proc/cpuinfo

Processor Family: ARC 700 [0x33]
CPU speed :     500.00 Mhz
Timers:         TIMER1 TIMER0 
Interrupt Vect Base:    0x88026800 
Peripheral Base: NOT present; assuming 0xCOFC0000 
Data UNCACHED Base (I/O): start 0xc0 Sz, 1024 MB 
Bogo MIPS :     248.21
ARC700 MMU Ver [2]
   PAGE SIZE 8k
   JTLB 128 x 2 = 256 entries
   uDTLB 8 entr, uITLB 4 entr
TLB Refill "will NOT" Flush uTLBs
Detected I-cache : 
  Type=2 way set-assoc, Line length=32, Size=16K (enabled)
Detected D-cache : 
  Type=4 way set-assoc, Line length=32, Size=16K (enabled)
Extensions:
   MPY: 32x32 with ANY Result Reg   MAC MPY: Dual 16 x 16 and 32 x 16
   DCCM: N/A  ICCM: N/A
   CRC: N/A,   SWAP: Present   NORM: Present
   Min-Max: Present,   Barrel Shifter: Present
   Ext Arith Insn: Present
Floating Point Extension: N/A

It was the last time I would have called a router design "interesting". :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!