What's new

ASUS App Android? Secure???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JEofMPK

Regular Contributor
Is it safe to use he ASUS Android App? I mean by safe, does it open up ports so elevates security risk? I want to be able to acess my router remotely and am currently doning so using Remore Desktop and TailSscale but the ASUS app itself wont work with TailScale on a phone. Thus considering direct usage of the ASUS app, which is probably how most folks connect to thier router remotely.

If it needs to be managed remotely, then it will require you to open ports to the WAN, which will greatly reduce security.

My advice is to configure a VPN server on the router, and access the webui through that VPN instead.

I am currently sitting in a hospital 40 miles from home with an Android tablet and phone. I have Instantguard, Wireguard and OpenVPN set up on the router and can use either to manage the router with the Asus app or a web browser. A piece of cake! Instantguard is the easiest to set up and use but has a two hour timeout. Wireguard is also easy as you just have to use the device camera to shoot the QR code.
Do not enable the remote access in the Asus app!

I agree with everything that has been said here. Additionally, if you are using the incredible @RMerlin 's firmware, just don't use the app - ever!

Asus App works perfectly with VPN remote access. The way @bbunge is using it above.

How does using Asuswrt-Merlin change the advice for the OPs situation?
It doesn't. The Asus app works well with Merlin. Not all settings can me managed though. Just like using the app with Asus firmware.

It doesn't. The Asus app works well with Merlin. Not all settings can me managed though. Just like using the app with Asus firmware.
There are a number of features that aren't compatible. Anything related to VPN for starter.

Also the app's Ad Blocking feature might possibly have issues, as I don't know if Asus kept the DNSDirector implementation intact, or if they changed its behaviour.

I think I stopped using the app after issues with the RT-AC86u, where could get the router into an odd state either after setting up tunnelling IPv6 or game mode. I definitely had a situation where I had to restore all the settings back to factory to clear a quirk that brought the network down and caused tantrums.

I've never used the app, even with the asuswrt firmware. I don't see any need for it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!