What's new

Asus Ax86 pro and AC86u 2 pack aimesh network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vshindgi

Occasional Visitor
Hello Guys,

i just now ordered a ax86u pro as a replacement for my ac86u 2 pack meshing devices which i currently have.

Wanted an advice to create a better network, my home is old and walls are very tough for penetration.

As of now my main fiber syrotech router (ISP provided) is connected to AC86u via 1gbps LAN port and other ac86 u is connected with main router with Aimesh.

Now i am planning to connect my ax86u pro as a main router to ISP's router with LAN cable on 1gbps lan port and planning to make Aimsh with both ac86u.

So need expert advice on this. how can i arrange all of these routers with my isp's router to get better wifi signal.

thank you in advance.

Kind of hard to answer without knowing what kind of area you need to cover, what kind of building you have etc... Even then only you will know which areas have poor coverage.

I would say experiment, experiment and then experiment some more. Figure out where the worst coverage is and put a node there.

The main thing to keep in mind with nodes is that less is often more. Three routers (one main, two nodes, as you're proposing) will not necessarily work better than two routers (one main, one node) - or even one router (the RT-AX86 Pro working on its own). Wifi doesn't really like competition, and you may end up having too much wifi for your space.

Also, if you can use an ethernet backhaul for the nodes, it will work much better.

I am running an RT-AX86U Pro with my old RT-AC86U as a single AI Mesh node with ethernet backhaul and it's working well in my space, but the node is really only handling a few wifi devices at the far end of the house. Both are running the latest Merlin firmware for the model.

You're just going to have to experiment with placement and node numbers to see what works for you.

Hello Guys,

i just now ordered a ax86u pro as a replacement for my ac86u 2 pack meshing devices which i currently have.

Wanted an advice to create a better network, my home is old and walls are very tough for penetration.

As of now my main fiber syrotech router (ISP provided) is connected to AC86u via 1gbps LAN port and other ac86 u is connected with main router with Aimesh.

Now i am planning to connect my ax86u pro as a main router to ISP's router with LAN cable on 1gbps lan port and planning to make Aimsh with both ac86u.

So need expert advice on this. how can i arrange all of these routers with my isp's router to get better wifi signal.

thank you in advance.

Setup the new AX86U Pro central and standalone. IF you need more coverage, add one AC86U node, but now spread the two APs as far apart as possible, like over 50'. Don't expect 5.0 160MHz bandwidth to work with the AC node. I doubt you need more than two APs. Wire the backhaul and disable the wireless backhauls for best results.

Always confirm the AC86U radios are broadcasting a stable signal... they won't once the AC86U starts burning out like they do.

OE

Last edited:
Setup the new AX86U Pro central and standalone. IF you need more coverage, add one AC86U node, but now spread the two APs as far apart as possible, like over 50'. Don't expect 5.0 160MHz bandwidth to work with the AC node. I doubt you need more than two APs. Wire the backhaul and disable the wireless backhauls for best results.

Always confirm the AC86U radios are broadcasting a stable signal... they won't once the AC86U starts burning out like they do.

OE
Thank you, let me try this and will let you know, thank you

Kind of hard to answer without knowing what kind of area you need to cover, what kind of building you have etc... Even then only you will know which areas have poor coverage.

I would say experiment, experiment and then experiment some more. Figure out where the worst coverage is and put a node there.
Well, My house is 1000 sq feet single floor but it's almost 25 years old, the bricks used were rock solid. House is 2 bedrooms hall and kitchen.

The main thing to keep in mind with nodes is that less is often more. Three routers (one main, two nodes, as you're proposing) will not necessarily work better than two routers (one main, one node) - or even one router (the RT-AX86 Pro working on its own). Wifi doesn't really like competition, and you may end up having too much wifi for your space.

Also, if you can use an ethernet backhaul for the nodes, it will work much better.

I am running an RT-AX86U Pro with my old RT-AC86U as a single AI Mesh node with ethernet backhaul and it's working well in my space, but the node is really only handling a few wifi devices at the far end of the house. Both are running the latest Merlin firmware for the model.

You're just going to have to experiment with placement and node numbers to see what works for you.
I will also try this mechanism and will post results, thank you ☺️

I think most people are ignoring the mention of using your ISP-provided hardware's wireless capabilities. Is that the case?
If so, all of your Asus hardware can be run as APs.

This article may offer some insight into configuring all your wireless hardware to work together as a cohesive WLAN in your home:

You have enough APs to be able to disable 2.4GHz if none of your client devices are constrained by it. The majority of your WLAN will be WiFi5 (802.11ac) @ 5GHz if you do so. This might be the best use of your ISP connection, if the APs are wired to the main router.

The same can be done if your ISP hardware is used only as a gateway, the Asus AX hardware as router and AC hardware as nodes. I'd also disable the 2.4GHz band in this case, and use some of the optional scripts of the Merlin package to make for a better User Experience on your LAN...unbound, skynet and diversion in particular, but also perhaps ntpMerlin.

I think most people are ignoring the mention of using your ISP-provided hardware's wireless capabilities. Is that the case?
If so, all of your Asus hardware can be run as APs.

This article may offer some insight into configuring all your wireless hardware to work together as a cohesive WLAN in your home:

You have enough APs to be able to disable 2.4GHz if none of your client devices are constrained by it. The majority of your WLAN will be WiFi5 (802.11ac) @ 5GHz if you do so. This might be the best use of your ISP connection, if the APs are wired to the main router.

The same can be done if your ISP hardware is used only as a gateway, the Asus AX hardware as router and AC hardware as nodes. I'd also disable the 2.4GHz band in this case, and use some of the optional scripts of the Merlin package to make for a better User Experience on your LAN...unbound, skynet and diversion in particular, but also perhaps ntpMerlin.
Thank you for your reply, the information was really nice and useful

You'll lose all Asuswrt router related features in AP Mode though, stand alone or AiMesh. No AiProtection, no VPN client/server, no Traffic Analyzer, no QoS, etc. ISP gateways are usually basic configuration devices. I would keep the main Asus router in Router Mode even if it has to be in double NAT.

You'll lose all Asuswrt router related features in AP Mode though, stand alone or AiMesh. No AiProtection, no VPN client/server, no Traffic Analyzer, no QoS, etc. ISP gateways are usually basic configuration devices. I would keep the main Asus router in Router Mode even if it has to be in double NAT.
Agreed, so you meant I should keep asus ax86u pro connected as man router via LAN cable to isp's router? & attach 2nd router ac86u to 2nd port LAN port, but the issue is isp router has only 1 Lan port which is 1gbps and unfortunately another port is 100 mbps.

Agreed, so you meant I should keep asus ax86u pro connected as man router via LAN cable to isp's router? & attach 2nd router ac86u to 2nd port LAN port, but the issue is isp router has only 1 Lan port which is 1gbps and unfortunately another port is 100 mbps.
What @Tech9 is suggesting is to use the 1Gbps LAN port on the ISP equipment for the AX router, and then connect the AC86 machines to the AX's LAN ports. That way you can still use the Asus/Merlin protections and AiMesh, and have the "added benefit" of being behind double NAT.

What @Tech9 is suggesting is to use the 1Gbps LAN port on the ISP equipment for the AX router, and then connect the AC86 machines to the AX's LAN ports. That way you can still use the Asus/Merlin protections and AiMesh, and have the "added benefit" of being behind double NAT.
Ok means, syrotech fiber router1000 mbps port>>ax86u pro 1000 mbps wired port connection and ac86u should be connected to ax86u's port via wired mesh or it has to be configured in router mode with different SSID?

Thank you in advance

Just so we can make sure we're making the right suggestions to you, could you tell us the model of your syrotech unit please?
I found this webpage - is it the same manufacturer?

Here is the model info:

I would use this one only for connection to the optical network with whatever it has in firmware Passthrough, DMZ... anything. I personally first time hear about this company and the device doesn't even have User Manual online. Definitely find a way to use your RT-AX86U Pro as Router with whatever you need there as Nodes.

I agree with @Tech9 …and that doesn’t happen too often