What's new

FlexQoS Asus Merlin and Flexqos

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That seems to make it work... however I don't recall my AX88U having this issue with FC enabled.
No idea which Ax routers it effects. For the longest time I thought it was just me.

Is their a easy way to keep Flow Cache disabled? It seems every time a rule is applied, I'm guessing QoS is restarted in the process. FC gets enabled, which requires manually disabling it again, every a change like this happens.

Hey Guys just been reading this thread as I'm experiencing the exact classification problems as lilstone87 described using Flex Qos on a RT-AX86U could some one please let me know where to input the above code Dave 14305 kindly offered as a fix? I can SSH into my router successfully using WinSCP do I copy and paste the code into a specific folder? Any info appreciated sorry for the noob question :)

Cheers.

Hey Guys just been reading this thread as I'm experiencing the exact classification problems as lilstone87 described using Flex Qos on a RT-AX86U could some one please let me know where to input the above code Dave 14305 kindly offered as a fix? I can SSH into my router successfully using WinSCP do I copy and paste the code into a specific folder? Any info appreciated sorry for the noob question :)

Cheers.

yes ssh into the router, and run those commands.

How do you disable flow cache and runner (is runner Hardware Acceleration?) with AX 86U thru the GUI?

Thanks,

Last edited:
How do you disable flow cache and runner (is runner Hardware Acceleration?) with AX 86U thru the GUI?

Thanks,
You dont, ssh into the router and run
nvram set fc_disable_force=1
nvram set fc_disable=1
nvram commit
fc disable
fc flush

When using the AX86u and adaptive qos bufferbloat is terrible, and manually changing bandwidth doesnt help, doesnt matter if runner and flowcache or enabled disabled. Cake does fix the bufferbloat. But yet again. With the AC, adaptive and correct bandwidth has A+ bufferbloat.
Having the same issue and wondering if turning off flowcache ended up helping anyone else with bluffer bloat other than the tables - which I have an issue with also.

I have tried cake and this does give me an A+ grade but i have a 400/20 connection and I have to drop down all the way to 260/17 to get a good score.

I also tried flexqos and it doesn't matter how far I drop the connection to, I never get a consist score (it's all over the place).

I would prefer to use flexqos to keep a higher connection and to use the flexibility that it provides in redirecting devices.

Any help will be greatly appreciated to get blufferbloat under control with the AX86u - Thanks

Last edited:
Having the same issue and wondering if turning off flowcache ended up helping anyone else with bluffer bloat other than the tables - which I have an issue with also.

I have tried cake and this does give me an A+ grade but i have a 400/20 connection and I have to drop down all the way to 260/17 to get a good score.

I also tried flexqos and it doesn't matter how far I drop the connection to, I never get a consist score (it's all over the place).

I would prefer to use flexqos to keep a higher connection and to use the flexibility that it provides in redirecting devices.

Any help will be greatly appreciated to get blufferbloat under control with the AX86u - Thanks
Hey Derek I disabled flow cache and runner as I could not get FlexQos to classify correctly on my network ( prioritize my Gaming PC not a big ask so I thought ) but this has not helped me at all :( I also tried cake but that was worse in game so frustrating considering the price of this unit which is meant to be a " Gaming Router " I think the only option is to sell the AX86U and try a AC86U can anyone please confirm FlexQos is 100% fully functional on the AC86U? Any info greatly appreciated Cheers.

Hey Derek I disabled flow cache and runner as I could not get FlexQos to classify correctly on my network ( prioritize my Gaming PC not a big ask so I thought ) but this has not helped me at all :( I also tried cake but that was worse in game so frustrating considering the price of this unit which is meant to be a " Gaming Router " I think the only option is to sell the AX86U and try a AC86U can anyone please confirm FlexQos is 100% fully functional on the AC86U? Any info greatly appreciated Cheers.
I don't know exactly why for some FlexQoS works fine and for others not with this model. I took the risk and bought it anyway like 4 months ago.
I have AX86U (Zaku II but it's just a case skin) and I'm not having QoS issues at all. I use it for work 24/7, LOT of PC gaming, TV, etc. And never had a problem even by making all devices produce traffic and saturate bandwidth.

Before I used it on the AC88U and I can for sure say it works perfect.

I'm not questioning your tech background, but sure you have classified traffic using flexqos options, setup bandwidth at 85/95% of you stable speeds and ensure your ISP routing is good enough to reach those gaming servers?

Had many friends complaining about their routers and realized when helping them things were wrongly setup, or were expecting US servers to have less than 150ms (I'm in Argentina... none of our ISPs have less ping than that to US), or not having stable connection.

I'm interested on finding why

Hey Sentinelvdx thanks for the reply mate more than willing to try anything suggested so I can keep using this router, I'm by no means an advanced user I can SSH into the router if required. Main reason I'm saying Qos is not working on my router is using the settings below as a test in the Tracked Connection Table everything is classed under the single rule I created (My gaming rule) but when I'm online in game the FlexQos Graph is showing 0kb in both upload and download under the Gaming class which should be showing all data connections from the 192.168.1.50 IP: plus I can tell straight away when someone on our network starts to stream as the game becomes very unresponsive. This test has been mentioned by others and seems to be a good way to see if your router has the Qos problem. I'm open to any setting suggestions Cheers.

FTTP connection 100/40
Qos adaptive: manual: 95/32
FlexQos customize:
wan packet overhead: ethernet with vlan
iptable: one rule only: Static ip assigned to gaming PC via DHCP 192.168.1.50 Protocol: both class: Gaming
App redirection: default settings
Class Order:
gaming
video and audio streaming
web surfing
others
file transferring
learn from home
work from home

Hey Sentinelvdx thanks for the reply mate more than willing to try anything suggested so I can keep using this router, I'm by no means an advanced user I can SSH into the router if required. Main reason I'm saying Qos is not working on my router is using the settings below as a test in the Tracked Connection Table everything is classed under the single rule I created (My gaming rule) but when I'm online in game the FlexQos Graph is showing 0kb in both upload and download under the Gaming class which should be showing all data connections from the 192.168.1.50 IP: plus I can tell straight away when someone on our network starts to stream as the game becomes very unresponsive. This test has been mentioned by others and seems to be a good way to see if your router has the Qos problem. I'm open to any setting suggestions Cheers.

FTTP connection 100/40
Qos adaptive: manual: 95/32
FlexQos customize:
wan packet overhead: ethernet with vlan
iptable: one rule only: Static ip assigned to gaming PC via DHCP 192.168.1.50 Protocol: both class: Gaming
App redirection: default settings
Class Order:
gaming
video and audio streaming
web surfing
others
file transferring
learn from home
work from home

Here's how I have it config'd. If you see desktop-sfd-lan is my gaming PC, but I only forced unidentified traffic to "Gaming" for that IP

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211219-162235_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211219-162235_Chrome.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 221
  • Screenshot_20211219-162303_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211219-162303_Chrome.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 219
  • Screenshot_20211219-162349_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211219-162349_Chrome.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 234
One thing I used to do when I ran FlexQoS was make all the download and upload maximums be only 80%. I figured no one connection could monopolize the entire network if everything is only given 80% max. (Feel free to tell me I'm wrong for doing this lol)
Honestly, I regret not trying and switching to CakeQoS sooner. It lacks a lot of the customization and speed potential of Flex, but Cake has been nearly flawless once I had my optimal settings.

One thing I used to do when I ran FlexQoS was make all the download and upload maximums be only 80%. I figured no one connection could monopolize the entire network if everything is only given 80% max. (Feel free to tell me I'm wrong for doing this lol)
Honestly, I regret not trying and switching to CakeQoS sooner. It lacks a lot of the customization and speed potential of Flex, but Cake has been nearly flawless once I had my optimal settings.
I can't speak about Cake because it said it was meant for 250Mbps or less. I have 300 symetric now (soon 500), so Flex is my best option.
Cannot say you are wrong, but I didn't need to set that 80% on max. I only set upload/download at 90% on QoS tab only and it works

Here's how I have it config'd. If you see desktop-sfd-lan is my gaming PC, but I only forced unidentified traffic to "Gaming" for that IP
Well still no luck here with successful FlexQos classification after a lot of testing the standout problem that is preventing me from giving priority to my gaming PC classification is the wired connection I have two separate PC's connected to the router via Ethernet if I setup a rule to prioritize either PC via LAN static IP
the rule is ignored by Flex. How ever if I setup a rule to a LAN static IP to any wireless device on my network bang its classed via Flex perfectly!!!
Please can anyone shed some light on what may be causing this? Cheers.

Code:
nvram set fc_disable_force=1
nvram set fc_disable=1
nvram commit
fc disable
fc flush
Hey Dave could you please give me the code to re enable fc I tried the exact opposite to this but it just keeps disabling after a reboot or if I apply a change.
Cheers.

Hey Dave could you please give me the code to re enable fc I tried the exact opposite to this but it just keeps disabling after a reboot or if I apply a change.
Cheers.
See this post:

Well still no luck here with successful FlexQos classification after a lot of testing the standout problem that is preventing me from giving priority to my gaming PC classification is the wired connection I have two separate PC's connected to the router via Ethernet if I setup a rule to prioritize either PC via LAN static IP
the rule is ignored by Flex. How ever if I setup a rule to a LAN static IP to any wireless device on my network bang its classed via Flex perfectly!!!
Please can anyone shed some light on what may be causing this? Cheers.
Just adding to the above I also found no LAN static IP on my network wired or wireless can be classed successfully under Gaming via a iptable Rule they will show correctly in the Tracked connections list but the real time graph shows 0kb under the "Gaming" class no matter what!! Its as if the Gaming class is totally broken.
BTW: Thanks for the link Dave turning on FC and Runner resulted in a C Bufferbloat Test so their both off again & back to A+.

Last edited:
Are you sure its actually disabled, you can check it under tools, sysinfo. another way to disable is add "fc disable" in the jffs scripts firewall-start script.

Are you sure its actually disabled, you can check it under tools, sysinfo. another way to disable is add "fc disable" in the jffs scripts firewall-start script.
Hey mate thanks for the reply yes both are 100% disabled Dave directed me to the script ( link above ) also confirmed under " Tools ".
Good news was having another look today and finally found the culprit preventing FlexQos from classifying the " Gaming " class correctly.
From Main UI go to: Game/ Gear accelerator/ Game Device Prioritizing/ Add: now remove all gaming device IP's from here just leave it blank.
Unsure why but this was preventing FlexQos from classifying the Gaming class correctly :) Hope this helps others.
We just need Hardware Acceleration Flow cache and Runner sorted now & we're all good.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!