What's new

ASUS-Merlin: server refused our public key - ssh SOLVED

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

martinr

Part of the Furniture
I'm posting this in case others fall into the trap I fell into.

I installed Merlin's firmware onto my new ASUS RT-AC68U, having graduated there from a Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT, which is, in my opinion, obsolescent, due to non-existent software/quality control (but that's quite another story).

In getting ssh to work on Merlin's firmware, I made the mistake of thinking that I needed to login as "root" in my ssh client. After many hours I realised that you need to log in NOT as root but using the login username which you use to access the router GUI. So, if you left it as the default "admin" then when Putty or whatever asks for "login as", you enter "admin". And if you changed it to something else eg "ASUSadmin" then you need to enter "ASUSadmin". Otherwise you will get the messages:

server refused our public key and

"disconnected: no supported authentication method...."

And that goes for whether or not you use key pairs or a password to log in to the SSH session.

Martin

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!