What's new

[🙏 Feature request For Asus Merlin] Add Public WiFi Mode for GT-AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mdpatel9558

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
recently my router lan port not working well. so, i have only option connect WAN with asus GT-AX11000 with wifi only.
But, there is no option Public WiFi Mode (WISP) mode in latest merlin firmware.

1712732012301.png

So, i request to you please add WISP mode to next release.
I hope i/we get WISP mode in next version.

Thank you,

WISP mode won't be added any time soon. My educated guess is never.

Asuswrt-Merlin is an alternative, customized version of that firmware. Developed by Eric Sauvageau, its primary goals are to enhance the existing firmware without bringing any radical changes, and to fix some of the known issues and limitations, while maintaining the same level of performance as the original firmware.

New feature addition is very low on the list of priorities for this project.

WISP mode won't be added any time soon. My educated guess is never.

ok, thank you

Short answer, no. Others have asked about using WAN and WISP. Per the forum search feature:
https://www.snbforums.com/search/1125451/?q=wisp&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=42&o=relevance

One such past discussion from 2022 is relevant to the OP"s question:

Short answer, no. Others have asked about using WAN and WISP. Per the forum search feature:
https://www.snbforums.com/search/1125451/?q=wisp&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=42&o=relevance

One such past discussion from 2022 is relevant to the OP"s question:
thank you

I would also be a huge proponent of having WISP-mode added... my simple thinking is that since the functionality already exists for the RT-AX57 in its stock firmware, why couldn't it be ported over or enabled in the Merlin FW... but after reading through Merlin's FAQs, this is probably the reason for this showstopper:

1) Large portions of the code are closed source. That means I have no control over almost anything related to the wireless portions of the firmware, for example. I'd say that at least half of the time someone asks me to change something, this is the number one reason why I can't do what is being asked.

my simple thinking is that since the functionality already exists for the RT-AX57 in its stock firmware,
Note that it exists in the "RT-AX57 Go" travel router, not the normal RT-AX57.

Note that it exists in the "RT-AX57 Go" travel router, not the normal RT-AX57.

I personally have always wanted a public wifi internet-cafe-like feature that allows guests in my house to connect to my wifi on a separate network for a fee using a credit card provider... and when their 20 minutes is up, kills their connection. Someone figuring out how to accomplish a captive portal project that runs on our routers would be so awesome. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!