What's new

ASUS N66U Connectivity drops on 2.4GHz XPERIA Z1s

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

envisioning

New Around Here
Hello everyone!

I have stumbled upon this site multiple times over the years when trying to figure out this issue with my internet/router assembly. We used to have Comcast in Lancaster, PA and I always had an issue with WiFi calling (T-Mobile for my Sony Xperia Z1s phone). It would not always receive texts/calls and always seems to be kicked off of the internet connection whenever my phone was not actively being used.

I spent many hours on the phone with tech support and had new phones sent out and finally an update for my phone (go figure) fixed the issue. However, although my texts and phone calls USUALLY come through, I continue to find my phone loses internet connection intermittently. It'll usually reset on it's own but this is VERY annoying.

I live out in the country so mixed signals/interference is NOT an issue. I also recently moved to a new location and no longer have Comcast. When I use the new cable provider's router - i have no issues with connectivity. Whenever I hook up my N66U directly to the cable modem (bypassing their router), I get the issues.

I do not wish to use their router since it's range is garbage compared to the ASUS N66U. Also, they block me from full admin rights so I can't customize anything! Fortunately, they supplied me a barebones cable modem so I could connect my own router to that modem. They were kind enough to turn off their WiFi so I had no interference as well (who wants two different 2.4/5Ghz routers in one home).

Here's what boggles my mind: when I factory reset the ASUS N66U (flashed with latest official firmware) it would have no issues until after 24 hours. For the first 24 hours - I NEVER lose signal. After that the issues start (at least from what I can see)
I recently flashed to the Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57 in hopes to fix my issues. Again, the first 24 hours were bliss. Now, I was surfing the net this evening and bam, kicked off the WiFi while surfing and lost internet connection. I'm done trying to figure it out - I need help from the pros.

Also, I have a work laptop with a Security FOB (for VPN) and it CANNOT utilize the 2.4GHz signal or I will constantly lose connection (every 20 minutes). When I use 5 GHz, I never lose connection to my VPN. Other laptops seem to be fine, while others have issues with the 2.4GHz signal.

I now have Armstrong Cable Modem Arris tm822 hooked directly to internet port of the ASUS N66U. (Comcast not provided here at new location - that makes me think it is NOT the cable provider)

Band 2.4GHz
Enable Radio Yes
Enable wireless scheduler No
Set AP Isolated Yes No
Roaming assistant Disable
Enable IGMP Snooping Disable
Multicast Rate(Mbps) Auto
Preamble Type Long
RTS Threshold 2347
DTIM Interval 3
Beacon Interval 100
Enable TX Bursting Enable
Enable WMM APSD Enable
Optimize AMPDU aggregation Disable
Optimize ack suppression Disable
Tx power adjustment 100 %

Hide SSID No
Wireless Mode b/g Protection
Channel bandwidth 20/40 MHz
Control Channel Auto
Extension Channel Auto
Authentication Method WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption AES
Network Key Rotation Interval 3600

T-Mobile's WiFi Calling uses some special sauce* that was baked into the router's they provided...

It's fairly generous to third parties, but the client really is looking at some very specific code in the T-Mobile provide WiFi hotspots...

*UMA - google it...

FWIW - ATT/Verizon have taken a different approach with WiFi calling - not better perhaps, but different...

Change your Channel Bandwith to 20 MHZ and set the control channel to 1, 6, or 11. I have a N66R which is the same as the N66U and my HP laptop will loose connection with 2.4 GHZ set to 40 or 20/40 MHZ. bb in Shippensburg, Pa.

Last edited:
On my 2.4 GHz network I've got tx bursting and b/g protection turned off.

Ok guys, I've tried all of the recommendations but I continue to get dropped Wifi. I was on my laptop and it just says No Internet Connection for about 30 seconds and then reconnects automatically.

My phone continues to drop total connectivity to the wifi then reconnects automatically.

Bursting is off, b/g protection off, I tried all different kinds of channels. I also set the bandwidth to 20Mhz.

I really feel like there is an issue between the router and the cable modem. It's very bazaar that it is now happening with a new cable modem and company - same issues. However, I realize I had the same ARRIS cable modem with Comcast as well.

Any other ideas?

It's a known issue on the latest firmware, need to wait until Asus fix their source code.

Either switch to 5G for now or roll back to an earlier firmware. John's fork works well.