What's new

Asus N66U replacement - AC1900 or AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ScottStoef

Occasional Visitor
I think the time has come to replace my Asus RT-N66U router. My local Fry's has some pretty good deal on a couple of routers I'm interested in, but don't know where the sweet spot is right now. I'm pretty much a plug and play user and really don't get into the settings other than factory defaults or firmware updates.

I've done some research and it sounds like the sweet spot over the past year is the AC1900 routers. Fry's has the Netgear R7000 (AC1900) on sale this week. However for $30 more I can get the Asus AC3200 and just for today they have the Netgear R8000 X6 for $30 more than the Asus. My Asus hasn't been too bad, but I've heard Netgear has a really good product given they hold most of the top spots on the SNB reviews for best routers by class.

I currently have 6 laptops/desktops, 4 iPhones 6S, 3 iPads, 3 blu-ray players, 2 iPods, 2 smart TVs, and a OOMA device on my network. I know this is lot of devices so I thought the AC3200 routers might be better because they are tri-band.

I think the time has come to replace my Asus RT-N66U router. My local Fry's has some pretty good deal on a couple of routers I'm interested in, but don't know where the sweet spot is right now. I'm pretty much a plug and play user and really don't get into the settings other than factory defaults or firmware updates.

I've done some research and it sounds like the sweet spot over the past year is the AC1900 routers. Fry's has the Netgear R7000 (AC1900) on sale this week. However for $30 more I can get the Asus AC3200 and just for today they have the Netgear R8000 X6 for $30 more than the Asus. My Asus hasn't been too bad, but I've heard Netgear has a really good product given they hold most of the top spots on the SNB reviews for best routers by class.

I currently have 6 laptops/desktops, 4 iPhones 6S, 3 iPads, 3 blu-ray players, 2 iPods, 2 smart TVs, and a OOMA device on my network. I know this is lot of devices so I thought the AC3200 routers might be better because they are tri-band.
How many of the computers, blu-ray-players, smart TVs are connected using Ethernet? If most are or can be connected using Ethernet cables then your current router might still be fine.

What makes you think it's time to replace it?

If you really need a better performing router, the RT-AC68U is the best bet (with RMerlin firmware).

The models you suggest are not that much better (performance) and certainly can be worse than what Asus is delivering today.

Only the desktop, printer (forgot to mention) and OOMA device are hardwired. Everything else is wireless. I also have a powerline adapter that I can use to cover one of the blu-ray players. I have things wired to put an access point in my basement that could handle one of the smart TVs.

ignore NETGEAR like the pest, unless you want to run 3rd party FW. NETGEAR's own FW is really to cry about

I would definitely prefer to have a plug and play FW. That being said I wouldn't mind installing a 3rd party FW (Tomato or DD-WRT) if I knew it would be a one time investment that would go smoothly and work better over the long haul. I work 2 jobs and I don't need a third managing my network when I get home! While I am a computer programmer by trade I'm a network novice!

Yes a mentioned stay away from Netgear routers unless you plan to run third party code. Netgear stock firmware is crap at best. Not a headache you want to have to deal with.

So it sounds like the Asus AC3200 is the big winner. I would go with a lesser model, but I'm guessing the prices will be the same so I might as well get the AC3200.

So it sounds like the Asus AC3200 is the big winner. I would go with a lesser model, but I'm guessing the prices will be the same so I might as well get the AC3200.

I would suggest that the RT-AC68 series is the better value for most folks - performance is pretty much the same across both, and being a less complex design..