What's new

Asus N66U vs Cisco RV220W for a 100/100 connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KTMsmurf

New Around Here
So Im getting a 100/100 fiber connection from my ISP. I have a old Netgear router today that can handle the WAN-LAN connection without any problem.. but I would like to have something better for security. The WiFi range is not that important as I only use phones and ipads for wifi and have a repeater so I get full coverage outside in the yard.

What I would really like is to have a Cisco 5505 but its to expensive :(
So the choice is at the moment between the Cisco RV220W and the Asus N66U as they are similar in price over here.

If anyone have a better idea for FW that are close to price as the two above please say so as Im open to suggestions :)
The only thing is that it needs to be able to handle at least 100Mbit throughput WAN-LAN/LAN-WAN.. and preferably at least 50mbit throughput on VPN.

To step up from the security of a NAT firewall, which both the products you are considering have, you need to move to a UTM class product like those made by ZyXEL and others.

What are you looking for when you say "something better" for security?

If firewall is an important feature for you, a good choice is the Cisco SA520 / SA520W, although more pricey.