What's new

Asus repeater reverts to 80mhz after losing station?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Toggyyog

Occasional Visitor
GUYSI have made an asus ac67p into a repeater. I only enabled 20mhz in config before switching to repeater mode and as soon as it loses main AP it switches to 80mhz. That makes no logical sense since you want narrower band ti pickup a distant AP. How can I make it stay on 20mhz even when loss of main AP signal?

Repeater mode has own settings. How the radios were set in Router or AP mode doesn't matter.

Last edited:
They don't with Asus. You need to config all settings in router mode then switch to repeater. Once you login to ui in repeater, no settings are available.

How do I get this fixed?

There is nothing to fix. A Repeater follows the parent AP settings. No channel and bandwidth settings are available.

Last edited:
But the main AP is incapable of 80mhz. So it just hangs at 80mhz waiting for the distant AP. Poor design. The parent AP was never at 80 it is always set at 20mhz nothing else yet repeater moves to 80mhz when it looses it. Makes absolutely no sense.

Well, 5GHz at 20MHz wide and 1/2 throughput due to retransmissions to Repeater connected devices is not something users would want. You better use wider coverage area 2.4GHz radio on the main AP. The result will be similar or better without this Repeater.

THe main AP is a drone. So yes 20mhz on 5ghz is what I really wanted. Not concerned with bandwidth 1/2 that bandwidth is far more than what drone requires anyways.

If you are trying to extend the drone's range with Wi-Fi repeater there are chances you lose the drone at some point.

Good quality wifi drone and it has GPS return to home, but patch antennas working good to help

So i guess if no way to solve it with current repeater, Any repeater better for the task?

I don't know what may work for your use case. I have two DJI drones and the controller range exceeds multiple times the allowed eyesight range.

Yea those are good drones. I have some Parrot stuff. I am doing it for better video signal stream stability in the immediate area rather than range. I havnt had any troubles with them on wifi except some video stream pixelation at 3/4 mile out.

I found the solution, how to make it stay on 20mhz bandwidth when main AP is lost. Since I didn't receive help, I will not be posting the solution. Good Luck.

No one ever needed a solution for this "issue" since I read SNB Forums and RT-AC67P is an End-Of-Life unpopular here router. Enjoy the solution.

I found the solution, how to make it stay on 20mhz bandwidth when main AP is lost. Since I didn't receive help, I will not be posting the solution. Good Luck.
As indicated, you where the first with this question or issue in the forum, you got help but indeed not the answer you was hoping for.
Keeping the solution to yourself is not what this kind of forums are for, with people from all over the world doing their best to help within their knowledge or experience.
EOL don't matter. on all asus wifi 4 and 5 models UI are pretty much same.
Most cars do have four wheels to drive on and a steering wheel, while the characteristics or purpose of the cars can be very different.
The GUI of different ASUS routers may look similar, the underlying hardware or chips can be totally different with options that are available on one model and not available on another model.

Indeed. This RT-AC67P was a MediaTek hardware device on 382 base firmware.

Interesting to note Asus pushed final firmware after EoL date. Perhaps fixing some critical issue.

repeater. I only enabled 20mhz in config before switching to repeater mode and as soon as it loses main AP it switches to 80mhz. That makes no logical sense since you want narrower band ti pickup a distant AP. How can I make it stay on 20mhz even when loss of main AP signal?

Because repeater - if you want to manage the spectrum usage of the remote AP, then configure it appropriately, then you can manage the radio directly...

The main AP cant be configured. This repeater still hangs at 40mhz when main AP(drone) is too far away. Even though I set repeater to ONLY use 20mhz. Drone can only use 20mhz as well no other bandwidth. I will do more experimenting to stop the defaulting to 40mhz on main AP loss. Maybe turn off all mimo or use only legacy b/g/n or try only N mode? Maybe something can be set in telnet to force only 20mhz. Since UI is not saving it properly. Even though I set and saved it ti only use 20mhz only before changing to repeater mode.

I thought you wrote in post #12 that the issue was fixed by something you keep secret?
I also read in the beginning about fallback to 80 MHz and now about fallback to 40 MHz.

As said a few times: what ever you set in Router mode, may or will get lost when you change to Repeater mode.
I don't have experience with Repeater mode and AsusWRT, I have used Repeater mode long ago with a WRT54GL and DD-WRT, and know Repeater mode has very limited wireless settings as it follows the main Router settings or what ever the wireless link scales down to.
I can imagine that the philosophy is that if the connection to the main Router is lost, the Repeater will scale up to its full capacity (full bandwidth) as the primary task is to have connection between the main Router and the Repeater - the secondary task of the Repeater is to keep connection to remote wireless Client.

Yes not 80 anymore. By changing it to legacy 2.4 it is 40mhz now when AP is lost. An improvement but still not 20mhz. I now have ti find the setting that may be forcing the 40mhz and tick it off, I think it is mimo or QAM or the protocol. More experimenting

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!