What's new

ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless-AC5300 Tri-Band Gaming Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

802.3ad is link aggregation. 802.11ad is 60 GHz WiGig.

I did not test link aggregation. It is useful only to create a higher bandwidth connection for use with multiple devices, such as multiple computers streaming from a NAS.

Yes, and that's my use case. I have a proxmox server with dual port Intel i350 NIC, which supports 802.3ad. I have several client machines communicating with VMs on this host, and the 1gb/s limit is irksome. Since 2.5/5/10gb home routers are not yet available at a price I'm willing to pay, 802.3ad would be an OK substitute. Well, it would be, if it worked on this router. I'll probably sell it and pick up an X10.

Yes, and that's my use case. I have a proxmox server with dual port Intel i350 NIC, which supports 802.3ad. I have several client machines communicating with VMs on this host, and the 1gb/s limit is irksome. Since 2.5/5/10gb home routers are not yet available at a price I'm willing to pay, 802.3ad would be an OK substitute. Well, it would be, if it worked on this router. I'll probably sell it and pick up an X10.

Oops lol my bad. To use 802.3ad does it have to be a nas or can you to it with let's say a high end gaming computer if I put a compatable NIC? Any benefits for gaming?

Oops lol my bad. To use 802.3ad does it have to be a nas or can you to it with let's say a high end gaming computer if I put a compatable NIC? Any benefits for gaming?

I can't think of any benefits for gaming. I can't think of a game that would need more than 1Gbps of bandwidth.

I have a proxmox server with dual port Intel i350 NIC, which supports 802.3ad. I have several client machines communicating with VMs on this host, and the 1gb/s limit is irksome.

Can you think of any way for me to confirm that my link aggregation set up is properly working? I have one wired PC and three WiFi clients I could connect.

in testing with the 88u they dont have full 802.11ad and you revert back to the adaptive bandwidth setting on the nas , so it may be the same here , whereas the netgear R8500 has full 802.11ad and it shows as active on both the router and nas

Can you think of any way for me to confirm that my link aggregation set up is properly working? I have one wired PC and three WiFi clients I could connect.

you download a file from the connected nas with 802.11ad enabled and then start download to 2 ethernet connected devices at the same time , the theory is each should get 110MB/s throughput , whereas with 802.11ad disabled on the nas and router you would share the 110MB/s and get about 55MB/s

Don't worry about 11ad (Wireless 60GHz), and 802.3ad (LAG) isn't that big of a deal for a home device - marketing checkbox feature...

Let's stop going down that rathole - fair enough?

It's a nice AP/Router/Gateway - ugly as heck, but that's beside the point...

Just a lot of money to spend for not much improvement for most folks over an AC1900 class device like the RT-AC68U series or Netgear's R7000...

In the real world - not going to see much difference, confirmation bias not withstanding...

and 802.3ad (LAG) isn't that big of a deal for a home device - marketing checkbox feature...

not really the argument , it ether works with true 802.3ad (LAG) or it does adaptive load sharing which isnt really the standard , i would also disagree that its just a marketing checkbox as it helps with streaming from NAS to multiple client devices and is noticeable when its working even compared to adaptive load balancing

Don't worry about 11ad (Wireless 60GHz), and 802.3ad (LAG) isn't that big of a deal for a home device - marketing checkbox feature...

Let's stop going down that rathole - fair enough?

That's an incredibly dismissive attitude towards those of us who bought the router in part due to the link aggregation support. Do you really think it's OK to advertise a feature which doesn't actually work properly? I sure don't.

That's an incredibly dismissive attitude towards those of us who bought the router in part due to the link aggregation support. Do you really think it's OK to advertise a feature which doesn't actually work properly? I sure don't.

LAG can be helpful, but many folks misunderstand LAG capabilities and limitations... but that has been debated many times on the different subforums here.

LAG can be helpful, but many folks misunderstand LAG capabilities and limitations... but that has been debated many times on the different subforums here.

you actually started this debate and dismissed it , for the most part i understand the lack of understanding of why its a benefit , but tbh its wrong to say its just an advertising gimmick and to propose so is misleading and non factual as it just wrong as it does give greater throughput to other clients , dismissing this is tbh an oversight and disruptive as it does not accurately indicate the benefit of the 802.3ad (LAG) standard

The thread was going down the "ad" rathole... missing the other obvious strengths of the device, strengths that many of the targeted market might find useful.

If feature isn't fully fleshed out at the moment, give Asus some time to get it worked out...

The product was released, advertised, and sold with a certain feature set. If some of those features are broken, Asus deserves to get called on it. We get it, you won't use some of those features. That doesn't mean no one else wants to use those advertised features, and it doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss them.

not really the argument , it ether works with true 802.3ad (LAG) or it does adaptive load sharing which isnt really the standard , i would also disagree that its just a marketing checkbox as it helps with streaming from NAS to multiple client devices and is noticeable when its working even compared to adaptive load balancing

I could see it being handy for those who put their entire Steam library on their NAS.

If feature isn't fully fleshed out at the moment, give Asus some time to get it worked out...

seems on this you have missed the point , if its advertise as 02.3ad (LAG) , it should actually support it , alas until now asus lacks in that department not withstanding i havnt tested the gt-ac300

Any particular reason for not testing MU-MIMO? This would have been interesting here, since it would have been the first time you tested Broadcom's supposedly fixed BCM4366E implementation.

Any particular reason for not testing MU-MIMO? This would have been interesting here, since it would have been the first time you tested Broadcom's supposedly fixed BCM4366E implementation.
I'm still working out the new process. I no longer use the Veriwave system.

I thought that's what the C0 stepping was for.

I thought that's what the C0 stepping was for.

C0 stepping of which chip specifically ? The CPU stepping (i.e. BCM4709C0) doesn't have any impact on MU-MIMO. AFAIK, a BCM4366E is required (as opposed to BCM4366).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!