What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 issues and impressions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok thanks i was not aware of that. Sorry if posting here has upset you. (NOT) ! :D

NOT!

And I didn't even get Thanked...

:D

You returned it, got a new one (same model) didn't enable Smart Connect and it was all good?

No picked up the RT-AC87R and found it had bad firmware at the time. Returned it as well and just kept my RT-AC66R. Found to be more stable than either of those...

No picked up the RT-AC87R and found it had bad firmware at the time. Returned it as well and just kept my RT-AC66R. Found to be more stable than either of those...

Is there any hope i can get a new stable router from Asus or should i focus my attention on another manufacture ?? :(

I have the RT-AC66U with Merlin's Firmware: 376.49_5 and just love it, rock solid! I'm often streaming to three PS3's.... AT THE SAME TIME! :) MP4's... not big butt 1080p 50 GIG files. :D

Last edited:
I have the RT-AC66U with Merlin's Firmware:376.49_5 and just love it, rock solid! :)

I understand that and my N66U is also very stable but i am looking to upgrade my network to include AC devices and want a top of the line router to do so. From what i have been reading it dont look so good that i will have a shiny new Asus router on my desk any time soon. :confused: Maybe give the Netgear Nighthawk a try.

new firmware hopefully

Hopefully a new firmware update will improve this routers performance, especially Smart Connect.

As it stands right now I do not see the point of the extra money for a Tri-Band, especially when I can only get 2 out of 3 to work.

I looked at the picture, but it wasn't clear enough for me to tell. Did Fryes really have this router in stock 4 days before New Egg and Amazon?

I looked at the picture, but it wasn't clear enough for me to tell. Did Fryes really have this router in stock 4 days before New Egg and Amazon?

I hear ya. OP, could you post better/larger/clearer pix, please?

Frys

The receipt shows I bought it on Jan 23rd at 9am. The rep told me he had it in Stock for several days and they were flying off the shelf.

Not sure why this is hard to believe.

Because nobody from here could get their hands on one, until you showed up with your FIRST post, ever. LOL
Most were only able to order one a few days ago, still awaiting delivery. Look for reviews ANYWHERE on the web, NOBODY has one. Did you get a *fall off the truck*, special? :D

Last edited:
I don't remember model numbers but I've seen/gotten routers at frys before official release before as well. If I remember , it was ASUs as well. To get one 3 days before Amazon would ship one isn't that odd.

Yes, we learned something new today. FRY'S rocks! :cool:

No expert

That explains why I cannot find anyone else's opinions or reviews on-line.

I am no expert and need some experts to play and see if I am missing something.

That explains why I cannot find anyone else's opinions or reviews on-line.

I am no expert and need some experts to play and see if I am missing something.

Thousands of us are. :)
FRYs must have pictures of ASUS execs! ;)

:D

I've also had this router for a few days and would just like to make a quick comparison between this router and the Nighthawk X6 which I exchanged for this. Both routers I am/was using smart connect.

So far, I'm liking the performance of this better than the Nighthawk because it seems more stable even with less "refined" firmware. My internet connection is about 80mbps down 90mbps up, using my computer across the house with a wireless AC card I get that full speed every test with this Asus. On the Netgear, I would sometimes get full speed and other times only get 50mbps down 30 mbps up (I assume because smart connect would throw me on the N 5Ghz band). I like the fact that smart connect controls all 3 networks on the Asus as opposed to only the 5Ghz bands on the Netgear. The Asus does sometimes disconnect my AC-wireless phone though when switching bands, but as someone said earlier this can most likely be fixed with a firmware update.

Range seems to be better on the Netgear but only slightly, though when taking speedtests outside my neighbor's house the Asus gave better speeds even with a slightly weaker signal (testing from my phone).

Manufacturer firmware layout is much more powerful on the Asus, with QoS and traffic analyzer being the huge upgrades. Did have a problem changing the admin password because of firmware problems, but there are workarounds. Can't wait to see some firmware updates that'll make this even better!

Overall very happy with the router so far.

Thank you imaconeheadXD! What's with all the newbies and their first posts to this Forum getting the first units? You're slipping old timers! :D

Donate to Merlin fellahs, we need better firmware for this awesome hardware. :cool: :)

Thank you imaconeheadXD! What's with all the newbies and their first posts to this Forum getting the first units? You're slipping old timers! :D

Donate to Merlin fellahs, we need better firmware for this awesome hardware. :cool: :)
I'm only new because I was with Netgear before ;) I work in retail so I saw it come in on a truck and just went "MINEZZZ!"

And almost definitely will, first I want to see if the default firmware improves enough or if I need to donate immediately lol

...first I want to see if the default firmware improves enough or if I need to donate immediately lol

IMMEDIATELY. You WILL be using Merlin's awesome firmware, and you'll want it the sooner, the better. :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!