What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 issues and impressions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You guys should PM tommintooter and ask him. He may not be subscribed to this thread. Let us know how/where he got a later firmware, please. :)

3989 is not a published firmware, it's what Asus used on their online demo webui hosted on AWS.

Asus should have 378_4129 out very soon (or something slightly higher if they run into any last-minute issue with that particular build). They didn't provide me with any changelog with it, they only said that some issues related to Smart Connect were resolved.

Should get mine in a few days... can't wait to test it.
Why everyone keeps using the smart connect ? it sounds very buggy...
plus, what the the pros and cons about it ?

I have been using the RT-AC3200 router for the a few days and don't see any of the disconnect or delay issues with smart connect enabled. I have laptops, phones, and tablets all connected and working fine. I don't have any ac devices at this point. Just g and N.

I just upgraded from 3.0.0.4.376.2769 to 3.0.0.4.378.3885.

Interestingly the former is the 'current' firmware when checking from the router. The latest one I had to download from the Asus site.

The noticeable effects so far are to halve wired/wireless internet performance on my cable to 47Mbps from the normal 115Mbps.

The other thing is that the memory and CPU panel now no longer records the CPU or RAM and it looks like some lines through the graphics, another fault. Another reboot didn't help.

I also read on one of the updates to hold the red 'reset' button more than 5 seconds to avoid compatibility issues due to the 5G driver update.

Edit:

I just reset the modem as instructed and the Mbps is back up to 115Mbps. I lost my settings but it wasn't a big deal. The issue with the CPU and RAM not being measured and the GUI graphic issue is still there. Not a showstopper obviously but I'm surprised that this would get through testing.

Last edited:
Isn't the reason why the smart connect includes all 3 bands is because there is logic in the firmware to automatically connect a client to the 2.4Ghz band when it detects a high degree of latency?

I read in another forum about a user who was having issues with that functionality... each time he moved about 15-20 feet away from the router, it would automatically disconnect him from one of the 5Ghz bands and connect him to the 2.4Ghz.

I am getting my AC3200 in a few days, and will try this out right away. Sounds like it might be best to not use smart connect until they iron out the issues with firmware updates.

I currently have an 87U, and want to change to the 3200 because I think it makes more sense to do so... more clients connecting at once is more of an issue at present than having the benefit of 4x4. As has been mentioned in this thread already, MU-MIMO adaptors will not be mainstream for several years.. by that time there will be much better MU-MIMO routers available that I will move to. Going with tri-band seems to be best choice today. I am just hoping I don't suffer a hit in range, that is very important to me.

I would be curious who is going from an 87U to the AC3200, and what impact you have seen (if any) to the range.

Last edited:
It's finally available in Canada via NewEgg.ca
I still can't find a store where you can physically see it and walk away with it after purchase.

iz7p6u.jpg

$339+tax+shipping so maybe by the time Merlin has stabled it, price will go down. :D

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...STMATCH&Description=rt-ac3200&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Last edited:
Using 2 routers work better than 1 AC3200?

I was comtemplating purchasing and trying out the AC3200 Tri-Band router but hesitant since I just bought the AC-68P to upgrade my RT-N66U router so that I can make use of the 5Ghz AC band. So since I have these two routers I can run the old RT-N66U as an AP using the AC-68P as the main router. In this configuration I would have two 2.4Ghz radios, and I would have two 5Ghz radios (one 5Ghz AC radio and one older non-AC 5Ghz radio).

I can allocate my many 2.4Ghz clients to the RT-N66U AP band since it has the best throughput and range in the smallnetbuilder reviews. I can allocate my 5Ghz AC clients to the AC-68P router and I can associate my non-AC 5Ghz devices to the RT-N66U 5Ghz radio. The traffic of course will all be consolidated onto the Gigabit LAN and total throughput traffic will be handled by the AC-68P processing.

I am wondering if this setup would be better, equal or worse performing than a single new Asus AC3200 router. Or will the total traffic load from all the 4 radios bottleneck and choke at the AC-68P. I think the AC-68P processor though is the same as in the AC3200 router (1Ghz Dual core CPU).

At this point, the net result will be better than the beta 3 radio all in ones.

I'm assuming the two routers will be connected with Ethernet, correct?

I'm also assuming they will be as far as possible from each other; at least 6 feet would be my recommendation, and use different channels and ssids too.

At this point, the net result will be better than the beta 3 radio all in ones.

I'm assuming the two routers will be connected with Ethernet, correct?

I'm also assuming they will be as far as possible from each other; at least 6 feet would be my recommendation, and use different channels and ssids too.

Yes, I am thinking this would be a better performing solution also.
Yes, the routers will be separated far apart, one upstairs and one downstairs.
Yes, they (the RT-N66U AP) will be connected via Ethernet (Gigabit) LAN to the AC-68P router.
Yes, I will have all separate SSID's for each radio but not necessarily different channels. For some reason channel 6 works best for me here for the 2.4Ghz band regardless of how many neighboring radios are on the same channel! odd.

Just updated to the firmware version 378_4129. (@maylyn thanks for the info!)

1. Same bug (found on 378_3883) still exists.
Even after "uPnP Service" under "WAN" is disabled for sure, "Router Security Assessment" under "AiProtection" says that uPnP service still is NOT disabled.

That's because Asus checks for UPNP's state on both wan0 and wan1, and will report it as being enabled if one of the two instances is enabled. In your case, it's still configured as enabled on wan1, even though you aren't using Dual WAN.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!