What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello... may I ask what type of speed are you getting with your NAS setup? I currently own the 88U and I'm getting a max thru put of about 103 MB/s. I believe the 5300 has the same cpu and memory, so I'm curious if the NAS speeds are any better or worth the upgrade.

Thanks for your help.
I will check but I won't be able to compare numbers very well, I've never got a number that high on any router, I think something like that can be limited by the nas itself too. Mine is a synology 413. Best I can remember hard wired is around 80mbps. I can probably do a better comparison on wifi as well. For me, I usually upload off of a microsd card on a surface pro 3 so the speed of the card slot in that situation is the rate limiting factor. I was maxing out the speed of the slot though at 50mbps on a mircosd read/nas write. In comparison on ac3200, that number was typically 10-20mbps.

As of yesterday, I wasn't even seeing firmwares show up on the support page for it. Not even sure if there was a support page yet for it. The router did upgrade itself in initial setup

I noticed that also, that why I wanted to see if anyone else has something different. Mine came with that. So is that what yours upgraded to?

Is firmware 3.0.0.4.380 the most current?

That version number is incomplete, it's missing the last number. All the new routers start with version 3.0.0.4.380_xxx.

Sorry 3.0.0.4.380_753

As of today it's still the latest version available for that model.

Asus hasn't setup a support page for that model yet, so the latest update is what's available through the automatic update that was run when you first set up the router, and can manually be checked from the Firmware update page on the router.

As of today it's still the latest version available for that model.

Asus hasn't setup a support page for that model yet, so the latest update is what's available through the automatic update that was run when you first set up the router, and can manually be checked from the Firmware update page on the router.

Thank you.

I will check but I won't be able to compare numbers very well, I've never got a number that high on any router, I think something like that can be limited by the nas itself too. Mine is a synology 413. Best I can remember hard wired is around 80mbps. I can probably do a better comparison on wifi as well. For me, I usually upload off of a microsd card on a surface pro 3 so the speed of the card slot in that situation is the rate limiting factor. I was maxing out the speed of the slot though at 50mbps on a mircosd read/nas write. In comparison on ac3200, that number was typically 10-20mbps.

I appreciate it. I believe if you disable USB 3.0 Interference on the Wi-Fi Settings you should get much faster transfer speeds. I would think the AC5300 would get similar or even better speeds than the AC88U. Thanks again.

I appreciate it. I believe if you disable USB 3.0 Interference on the Wi-Fi Settings you should get much faster transfer speeds. I would think the AC5300 would get similar or even better speeds than the AC88U. Thanks again.
My nas is a dedicated nas with its own os that connects via Ethernet. Are you connecting a drive and using router as a nas?

My nas is a dedicated nas with its own os that connects via Ethernet. Are you connecting a drive and using router as a nas?

Correct, just a 4TB portable drive connected to the 3.0 port on my router. No big deal if it's too much trouble. I was just curious.

I am sure it's been asked but, Merlin, what are your plans for the AC5300? When will we see your update? For me, the most important component is the OpenVPN client. I know the stock Asus build doesn't have it.

Thanks.

I am sure it's been asked but, Merlin, what are your plans for the AC5300? When will we see your update? For me, the most important component is the OpenVPN client. I know the stock Asus build doesn't have it.

Thanks.

Right now I don't have anything to announce regarding the RT-AC5300, as I don't have one, and its source code isn't available yet either for me to investigate the possibility of supporting it without owning one or not.

I'll go for the AC88U for that reason... too big for me (plus no need of a second 5ghz band)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I'll go for the AC88U for that reason... too big for me (plus no need of a second 5ghz band)

If you dont need 8 lan ports or red antennas you might look at the AC3100 same exact router on the inside and a few bucks cheaper.

If you dont need 8 lan ports or red antennas you might look at the AC3100 same exact router on the inside.
I do want the 8 ports and love de RoG design! [emoji2]

I do want the 8 ports and love de RoG design! [emoji2]

Yes then go for it.. I just got my AC3100 i dont need the extra ports or i would have picked up the 88U.. But it seems these two routers 88U and AC3100 have been the most trouble free from the start. Feel bad for the 87U owners i had one for a week and quickly returned it because of constant problems with 5 Ghz . Not so with the AC3100 rock solid right out of the box. Of course after flashing the latest Merlin build. :)