What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merlin would i need a factory reset upgrading from 39 to 40alpa4 ? AC68U

Merlin would i need a factory reset upgrading from 39 to 40alpa4 ? AC68U

Not necessary. But wait another 5 mins, I'm uploading alpha7 - I'd like to see if this one would help with the reboots.

RT-AC68U locks up with new firmware (Beta 6)

I just upgraded from Alpha 4 to Alpha 6.
Alpha 4 worked perfectly. Alpha 6 will not boot with a USB 3 hard drive attached to either of the USB ports. It goes to a custom mini asus page and asks if I want to reset the NVRAM or upload a new firmware. If I reload the firmware, it keeps rebooting to the same page.

If I restart the router without the Hard Drive attached, it boots perfectly.
Everything seems to be fine until I re-attach the hard drive. Then it locks up.
It becomes completely unresponsive. If I unplug the Hard Drive, then everything is fine again.

This is the same HD I was using on Alpha 4. I haven't made any changes to it.
I read a post earlier by Merlin that Asus had made some changes to the USB handling. Do you think I should reformat the HD and then connect it again, or just wait and see if others are having the same issue?

It's a My Passport 2TB USB 3.0 Drive. Formatted in NTFS.

Thank you for your help,
Spinman

I just uploaded alpha7:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/54cv8fvbfo6he48/RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.40_alpha7.zip

In this one, I have reverted all the binary bits that were specific to the AC68/AC56, hopefully bring it close to what 374.40-alpha4 had in terms of stability. Please give this build a try if you were experiencing reboot issues.

I did notice that the EMF module was behaving differently in this build. My gut feeling tells me that EMF was the culprit for the crashes. We'll see how it works out for you guys.

Alpha 4 worked perfectly. Alpha 6 will not boot with a USB 3 hard drive attached to either of the USB ports. It goes to a custom mini asus page and asks if I want to reset the NVRAM or upload a new firmware. If I reload the firmware, it keeps rebooting to the same page.

It becomes completely unresponsive. If I unplug the Hard Drive, then everything is fine again.

I read a post earlier by Merlin that Asus had made some changes to the USB handling. Do you think I should reformat the HD and then connect it again, or just wait and see if others are having the same issue?

Thank you for your help,
Spinman

I don't see how a USB disk could force the router to boot into recovery mode, short of causing the router to crash very early in its boot sequence. My first feeling would be this is a hardware issue rather than a firmware issue.

Try plugging the HDD to a PC and running a chkdsk on it to see if it helps, in case it would be filesystem corruption.

I don't see how a USB disk could force the router to boot into recovery mode, short of causing the router to crash very early in its boot sequence. My first feeling would be this is a hardware issue rather than a firmware issue.

Try plugging the HDD to a PC and running a chkdsk on it to see if it helps, in case it would be filesystem corruption.

windows shows no errors using chkdsk. I'm going to update to beta 7, and then plug it back in and see what happens.
Thank you for your suggestion,
Spinman

Update:

ran chkdsk, the disk says it's okay. Updated to Alpha 7. Rebooted. It works great, then I plugged in the HD, and it locked up again.

The Hard Drive is listed, but says it's "Unmounted"
When I click on the HD icon I get the following error screen
"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.

To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

Internet goes down too, as does webadmin (on both wireless and wired) ; however,
The wired IP cams are still working fine.

I unplug the HD, and everything is back to normal. It's bizarre.

The log shows this error:
Feb 24 20:02:44 rstats[548]: Problem loading /mnt/My_Passport/tomato_rstats_d850e6449bb0.gz. Still trying...
Feb 24 20:07:00 rstats[548]: Problem loading /mnt/My_Passport/tomato_rstats_d850e6449bb0.gz. Still trying...

I have the router setup to store it's stats on the HD.
Should I delete this file, and see if it makes a difference?

Last edited:
windows shows no errors using chkdsk. I'm going to update to beta 7, and then plug it back in and see what happens.
Spinman

Update:

ran chkdsk, the disk says it's okay. Updated to Alpha 7. Rebooted. It works great, then I plugged in the HD, and it locked up again.

Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.

To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

Internet goes down too, as does webadmin (on both wireless and wired) ; however,

I had a similar problem when trying to access the tools page with .39 merlin build. In my case a reset to factory and then a manual configuration solved the issue, even though it is not clear to me how a nvram setting can affect the web ui functionality. You may try the same procedure.

One thing to note that I just thought of is, I never flashed to 4422. I went straight from 583 to 4561, because so many of you had immediate problems with 4422. I don't know if somehow this could be an issue and that something residual could be leftover from 4422, some new flag, setting, variable, etc. I'm doubtful myself as it sounds like everyone can flash back to working FW without issue, but I though I'd mention it anyhow.

I am having the same problem as Spinman and I used FW alfa 7.

Thank you for your help,
Spinman

I'm having the same problem with FW Alpha 7.

Spinman

Update:

The log shows this error:
Feb 24 20:02:44 rstats[548]: Problem loading /mnt/My_Passport/tomato_rstats_d850e6449bb0.gz. Still trying...
Feb 24 20:07:00 rstats[548]: Problem loading /mnt/My_Passport/tomato_rstats_d850e6449bb0.gz. Still trying...

I have the router setup to store it's stats on the HD.
Should I delete this file, and see if it makes a difference?

Yes the very same problem with me.

Man-down. Mine just rebooted. Nothing in the log for today; it just restarted. Going back to 583 until this gets sorted out. 583 had run for almost 30days before I finally loaded 4561

Today my RT-AC68U rebooted. I installed the Router on 2/8/2014, but I haven’t really paid attention to the reboot issue until I started reading this thread. I updated to the 3.0.0.4.374.4561 Firmware on 2/21/2014 and started looking at the System Log at that time to see if the “Up Time” ever reset. Today I did some experimenting with switching two dual band devices (my Desktop and my iPad) between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Switching them back and forth didn’t create a problem. This afternoon we decided to finish our work on a project, so I cleaned the system using CCleaner (a daily procedure) and rebooted my Desktop. When it rebooted I noticed that an update to Adobe Flash Player was available, so I let it download and install. After the installation I ran CCleaner again and rebooted. We then proceeded to complete the project and after we finished I decided to check the Router’s system log again and discovered that it had reset. The up time on a prior check had been 3 days 2 hours and change; now it was 53 minutes. By subtracting the new uptime from the current time and looking at the date/time stamps of several files, it appears that the Router reboot occurred about the time I updated Adobe Flash Player, or sometime during the PC reboot, Flash Player installation, and PC reboot again process.

Except for Wireless settings, for the most part I use the Factory Defaults. However, I don’t attach USB devices to the Router and FTP, Shares, AiCloud, etc. are disabled.

Last edited:
That's funny because i killed the adobe updater process, pet peeve of mine, about the time mine rebooted......I just didn't associate the two things until you mentioned your situation..

Lockups on Alpha 7

Just a new update.

I deleted the stats file, and reconnected the HD. It locked up immediately after doing so.

I removed the HD, and everything went back to normal.

I plugged in a 64gb USB 3 memory stick, and it worked fine. No lockups.

Then I formatted the 2TB USB 3.0 HD again. I attached it to the router.
Everything worked fine.
Then I enabled time machine. Everything was still okay.
Next, I tried to enable the "Servers Center" I wanted Upnp, and Itunes, etc.
When I hit apply, it locked up.

Then I removed the drive, reformatted it again (NTFS) and reconnected it.
Everything was okay. I re-enabled Time Machine, and it's still happy.
I'm afraid to enable the Server Center, but I wanted to test Time Machine functionality. It is currently backing up, as I type. No lock ups.

I started having disconnections with Skype every 5 minutes or so. Then I copied the file stats back to the hard drive, and had a complete lockup.
I'm changing to Alpha 4 until things stabilize/become more clear.

Last edited:
Lockups on Alpha 6&7

I went back to Alpha 4. Everything is perfect. HD, media server, Itunes, Time Machine, sharing, etc.

Skype isn't disconnecting too.

Something is definitely different regarding USB on builds 6&7

Last edited:
At last some good news at least - I can reproduce the USB disk issue (didn't happen with my ext2 flash drive, but it does with my NTFS HDD).

That's finally something I can work with.

Alpha 7 rebooted just by copying an MKV file to a standalone NAS via Wired connection.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!