What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see a lot of Apple devices mentionned. Is everyone having frequent reboot issues owning some sort of Apple device?

The BogoMIPS only increase when using the Turbo mode (haven't updated my bootloader). Changing nvram clkfrq settings via telnet do not affect the BogoMIPS regardless if Turbo Mode is activated or not. I'm just coming onboard with my new AC68U, so either those who are claiming to be running 1200,800 or 1000,800 clkfrqs are either unaware that the nvram is ignoring the request, or I am unaware of the proper way to overclock.

Currently running 40_alpha8, since alpha4 was having issues with IPv6.

What Turbo Mode?....I have AC56U with stock firmware.

Check your BogoMIPS.

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

If they still show near 1600, then it means you CPU clock is still at 800 MHz - the nvram setting was simply ignored as it's an invalid value.

@RT-AC56U:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1998.84

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 1998.84

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x3
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 0

Hardware : Northstar Prototype
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

What Turbo Mode?....I have AC56U with stock firmware.

I do not know about the AC56, but I have the AC68. In Merlin's firmware under Administration > Performance Tuning

You have the option to change the LED light button on the back of the AC68 into the toggle switch to turn on Turbo mode (CPU set to 1000Mhz instead of 800MHz).

Just turned on my comp (
asus z87 pro ) and i experienced about 5 reboots in about 10 minutes. Now i have downgraded to older firmware with no reboots. Asus need to fix this asap

Hi, I just registered so I could get involved in this thread.

I bought my RT-AC68U less than two weeks ago, it's really really fast but apparently it was a mistake to update to the latest firmware when I installed it...

I have about 20 devices that make connections including iphones, ipads, LG tv, synology NAS, android tablet, Nokia W8 phone, windows 7 laptop, windows 8 laptops...

Random reboots seemed to occur. So I found this thread and have had some success with alpha 8 (1 1/2 day uptime)

Then my wife moved her macbook away from where she usually sits to work on it to the next room which is 6m further away from the router (she connects on the 5Ghz band) and suddenly alpha 8 started rebooting every couple of minutes. I asked her to put the machine to sleep and it stopped...

Tried installing alpha 9 and having the macbook connecting again, within a couple of minutes it started rebooting again.

I'm on alpha 4 now and hoping for more success... I love the speed of this router, it's giving me my full 150mbit on a regular N network card which is almost double I had with a linksys E4200. If only we can get it to be stable...

So because of Apple products??? This router gives my Note 3 speed at 500Mbs... uploadfromtaptalk1393517592287.jpg

Gửi từ SM-N900 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

Yes there are a number a number of Apple devices connecting on 2.4ghz. I don't think they are using 5ghz though but will check when home.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

wifi connection drops out randomly

This build is a definite improvement over last few builds and has multiple bugs fixed. Though I had to revert back to Merlin's 374.35.4(the best build so far for me), because with the build 3.0.0.4.374.4561 all WiFi clients I have are experiencing sporadic connection lost. Sometimes connection is solid for hours may be a day and sometimes its being lost few times in ten minutes.

Clients:
1. Mac book
2. Asus Memo Pad 10''
3. Asus Memo Pad 7''

No reboots on Alpha 9 yet, Uptime 10.5 hours so far

I have lots of devices on both 2.4 and 5ghz bands with Seperate SSID (but none at present on the "Guest" SSID). These devices include PC's, Andriod Tablets and Phones, and a three iPhone 5. EDIT - it is hard to know which ones are on the 68u router vs the two 66u AP's (still running Aplha 4 for 3 days with out a reboot)

Last edited:
I do not know about the AC56, but I have the AC68. In Merlin's firmware under Administration > Performance Tuning

You have the option to change the LED light button on the back of the AC68 into the toggle switch to turn on Turbo mode (CPU set to 1000Mhz instead of 800MHz).

I just use use the telnet method to change my cpu and ram....I did run it at 1000/800....but noticed some lag with webpages loading...900/666 seems to be the sweet spot for me.

And...not sure what he meant about invalid cpu value....I have other routers that use whatever numbers for their cpu value....also look at the DDWRT list of devices and it shows many models and their cpu value.

Just rebooted on Alpha 9 (will go back to Alpha 4 for now)

4 days 10hrs uptime on 583. Will try alpha4 in the weekend. I hv a iPhone4 with iOS 6.

And...not sure what he meant about invalid cpu value....I have other routers that use whatever numbers for their cpu value....also look at the DDWRT list of devices and it shows many models and their cpu value.

If the firmware detects a non-supported clock value, it will reset it to default.

Just rebooted on Alpha 9 (will go back to Alpha 4 for now)

Starting to run out of things to revert here I'm afraid.

I spoke with Asus about this issue yesterday, and so far they are in the same boat where they are having trouble reproducing the issue for troubleshooting purposes. They are investigating ways to make it easier to track down the root cause.

Curious: To those are reporting reboots, have you updated the bootloader with the DDR Configuration Tool from ASUS?

My unit is a re-sell from the low priced Best Buy units a little while ago, and was not updated at the factory (manufactured 2013).

I have not updated the bootloader, and I haven't experienced any reboots for almost 2 days now. Currently running 40_alpha7.

No I never updated the boot loader. Have not rebooted for over a day at this point. Then again I wasn't rebooting everyday with the new FW.

Starting to run out of things to revert here I'm afraid.

I spoke with Asus about this issue yesterday, and so far they are in the same boat where they are having trouble reproducing the issue for troubleshooting purposes. They are investigating ways to make it easier to track down the root cause.

A print out of the LOG wont tell them what is happening?

If the firmware detects a non-supported clock value, it will reset it to default.

Well...there is a guy that has it up to 1400....is that a "valid" clock speed then?

And as u had mentioned in previous post to check MIPS value...mine is 1998 which is above the stock 1600 value u mentioned and that number goes up and down if i change the clock speed. So it appears to take what ever value I set it at.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!