What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.5656

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dijkstra88

Occasional Visitor
Security related issues:
1. Fixed password disclosure in source code when adminstrator logged in.
2. Changed OpenSSL Library from 1.0.0.b to 1.0.0.d. Both OpenSSL versions are not vulnerable to heartbleed bug.

Others:
1. Fixed wake on lan magic packet sending issue.
2. Fixed false alarm for samba and ftp permission.
3. Fixed IPv6 related issues.
4. Samba/ media server/ iTunes server name can be changed.

Special thanks for David and Joaquim Brasil de Oliveira’s research
CVE-2014-2719 http://dnlongen.blogspot.com/2014/04/CVE-2014-2719-Asus-RT-Password-Disclosure.html
Cross Site Scripting: https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-2925
Remote Command Execution: https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2013-5948

Security related issues:
1. Fixed password disclosure in source code when adminstrator logged in.
2. Changed OpenSSL Library from 1.0.0.b to 1.0.0.d. Both OpenSSL versions are not vulnerable to heartbleed bug.

Others:
1. Fixed wake on lan magic packet sending issue.
2. Fixed false alarm for samba and ftp permission.
3. Fixed IPv6 related issues.
4. Samba/ media server/ iTunes server name can be changed.

Special thanks for David and Joaquim Brasil de Oliveira’s research
CVE-2014-2719 http://dnlongen.blogspot.com/2014/04/CVE-2014-2719-Asus-RT-Password-Disclosure.html
Cross Site Scripting: https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-2925
Remote Command Execution: https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2013-5948

These updates are quick, dang. If im not mistaken, I think RMerlin has already implemented some of these changes in his 374.41 build. don't quote me on that tho

Last edited:
These updates are quick, dang. If im not mistaken, I think RMerlin has already implemented some of these changes in his 374.41 build. don't quote me on that tho

Think so either. Will wait what RMerlin has to say about this update;)

Not the best one if you want to be able to configure your USBmodem*,
back to Merlin 374.41_alpha4

*Huawei e3276s-150 NoneHilink in 3G+

I already fixed WOL support in 374.41 (no idea if Asus fixed it differently however).

OpenSSL version is already much newer also in my builds, as I've been using 1.0.0j for quite a while now.

The password bit is something I had started fixing, but didn't complete it before the 374.41 release (the AC68U build accidentally included part of this work-in-progress, which was why it suffered from a broken password checker just like stock FW). I was waiting to get newer Asus source code to use their own fix instead of rolling up my own.

The notification alarms is something I was partly mitigating as I had disabled part of them in 374.40 while waiting for Asus to polish them a bit more.

Overall, this build seem to mostly be meant to bring the AC68U router inline with the MIPS devices that were updated last week.

For the rest, I can't tell until source code becomes available, and I've had the chance to analyse it.

Version 3.0.0.4.374_5517 came through router's upgrade method. I did not even know that .5517 version exists.

ASUS's site is down, or at least i can't get to it.

ASUS's site is down, or at least i can't get to it.
I thought the same thing, so just to be sure I cleared my browser (IE11) cache and cookies with ccleaner and immediately connected.

Last edited:
Looks like OpenVPN server autostart is broken in 5656. Cannot connect to it right after router reboot, and there is endless waiting message in the section "Export OpenVPN configuration file". OpenVPN starts only after pressing "Apply" on its page.

Rechecked it in 5047 (was ok), then again in 5656 - still no autostart.

Speed/Throughput on 2.4Ghz radio

Can someone please comment on the speed of the 2.4 GHz radio ?

I initially bought this router about 4 months ago and returned it due to the fact that the speed and throughput I was getting on the 2.4 GHz (802.11g) radio was slower than on my current DLink DGL-4500.

I can remember (at that time), the slowness of the Asus 2.4Ghz radio was a known issue - that many had commented that they hoped would be solved by a firmware update.

So, now that I want to take another run at this router - can anyone (who HAS experienced the slow 2.4GHz speed) - comment on whether or not this aspect has improved - and if so, how much has it improved ?

Can someone please comment on the speed of the 2.4 GHz radio ?

I initially bought this router about 4 months ago and returned it due to the fact that the speed and throughput I was getting on the 2.4 GHz (802.11g) radio was slower than on my current DLink DGL-4500.

I can remember (at that time), the slowness of the Asus 2.4Ghz radio was a known issue - that many had commented that they hoped would be solved by a firmware update.

So, now that I want to take another run at this router - can anyone (who HAS experienced the slow 2.4GHz speed) - comment on whether or not this aspect has improved - and if so, how much has it improved ?

Check the feedback about FW 3.0.0.4.374_583 (and the few ones just before that) in this forum. From what I recall, a lot of people reported improvements at that time.

In general, FW releases get their dedicated thread, so it would make it easy for you to browse through it.

5656 or 5517???
I don't understand Asus! Site is "down", at least from my country, see below, and the router shows it can upgrade to 5517.
For the moment I'm staying to the good stable 5047.

telnet www.asus.com 80
Trying 72.247.252.181...
Connected to e5110.e14.akamaiedge.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /
HTTP/1.0 408 Request Time-out
Server: AkamaiGHost
Mime-Version: 1.0
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:03:13 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 218
Expires: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:03:13 GMT

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>Request Timeout</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Request Timeout</H1>
The server timed out while waiting for the browser's request.<P>
Reference #2.1cdedd58.1398362593.0
</BODY></HTML>

Last edited:
Just tried this firmware for the heck of it and my ipad using 5 ghz band has slowed down and the speeds are up and down and erratic. Definitely back to Merlin 374.41

I really appreciate all the assistance provided by various users, especially RMerlin. But it seems ASUS fixes an issue while creating others. I picked up the Linksys WRT 1900AC last week, and I'm amazed with its performance out of the box! Maybe ASUS will get their act together in a couple of years. :rolleyes:

for the folks with the 5GHz issues, did you download .5656 manually or update to .5517 through the UI notice?

Back to 5047, at least 5GHz works without hassle.

for the folks with the 5GHz issues, did you download .5656 manually or update to .5517 through the UI notice?

I'm not having any issues on 5GHZ. I upgraded the firmware through the UI and I now have .5517 installed. Does anyone know what the difference is with the .5656 build?

Wonder if I should upgrade to it or not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!