What's new

ASUS RT-AX58U Random Crash/Reboots

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chevman.online

New Around Here
Hi all - have an ASUS RT-AX58U that I picked up used about 2 years ago. Been running about 15 wireless and a couple wired devices like a champ until the last couple months.

Seeing random reboots maybe once a week or so.

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.388_23924

No guest networks, AI protection and parental controls turned off, no connected hard drives. CPU usage hovers around 5%, RAM usage around 60% typically.

Crash log attached.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• crashlog.txt
    115.9 KB · Views: 39
It looks like it crashed trying to do garbage collection on the jffs partition. That may be because it's run out of space. I suggest you backup you current settings (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting) and then do a hard factory reset:

Then reload your settings file and reboot the router.

Thanks for taking a look, appreciate it!

I will try this tomorrow and see how it goes.

Is this some kind of bug or misconfiguration (on my part), or just something that happens after the router has been in service for a while?

Thanks for taking a look, appreciate it!

I will try this tomorrow and see how it goes.

Is this some kind of bug or misconfiguration (on my part), or just something that happens after the router has been in service for a while?

Have you ever factory reset it? My guess would be lots of old junk and upgrading to new firmware leaving things in an unclean state. These aren't precision machines, they need a good wipe every now and then expecially with major firmware updates like 386 to 388 (even sometimes minor updates). Honestly I wouldn't reload your settings file, I'd reconfigure from scratch (if you haven't factory reset in a long time).

When it comes to home routers, the "all else fails, reboot" rule turns into "all else fails reset and reconfigure".

If you've had it two years and multiple firmware upgrades, might even want to go semi-nuclear reset, meaning you do the hard factory reset using WPS button (or whichever method applies to your router) followed by configuring just enough to get in, going into the GUI's factory reset, checking off initialize all settings, and resetting from there. Then reconfigure everything by hand.

Reactions: MDM
Nope, never done a factory reset I don't think 😆😆😆😆

Should be able to rebuild the settings by hand fairly easy - only thing I have configured is one static DNS assignment for my ethernet connected NAS/pi-hole DNS server (and pointing the DNS to use that on the network).

If the problem is what I think it is it's not something you've done wrong. We've seen this occasionally with Asus routers that have been in service a long time. If you don't need to restore your old settings then that's even better, just do the hard reset using the method I linked to and set it up manually.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!