What's new

asus rt-n66u replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

evryman995

New Around Here
Hello, the router is 9 years old and runs on Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware:380.70, I want to buy a replacement. In particular, I use a router to connect two computers to play online games where low latency and high performance are important.

Welcome to the forums @evryman995.

Without knowing your ISP's paid-for speeds, the RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U, and GT-AX6000 are all excellent 'entry-level' class routers today. Note the RT-AX86U will probably not get the 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware, (but the GT-AX6000 should), so it may go EOL much sooner.

If it's within your budget, the RT-AX88U Pro is the router to buy today.

Welcome to the forums @evryman995.

Without knowing your ISP's paid-for speeds, the RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U, and GT-AX6000 are all excellent 'entry-level' class routers today. Note the RT-AX86U will probably not get the 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware, (but the GT-AX6000 should), so it may go EOL much sooner.

If it's within your budget, the RT-AX88U Pro is the router to buy today.
forgot to indicate the provider speed 300mb , Are there cheaper routers?

You need nothing more than $100 router. It will be better than RT-N66U in everything.

TP-Link Archer AX50/AX55, Asus RT-AX58U/AX3000 V2, etc.

forgot to indicate the provider speed 300mb , Are there cheaper routers?
Almost any of the current router's being sold by the likes of Asus, TP-Link, etc. will exceed the capabilities of what you have now.

Is there anything about your current router that is lacking that you want to improve on? If you're connecting to the router by ethernet you won't notice any difference in your online games as that is predominately down to your ISP connection not the router.

You need nothing more than $100 router. It will be better than RT-N66U in everything.

TP-Link Archer AX50/AX55, Asus RT-AX58U/AX3000 V2, etc.
For the price, I am satisfied with the TP-Link Archer AX50, but I looked that the year of manufacture is 2019, is it an old model?

is it an old model?

AX50 was released in 2019, AX55 was released in 2023. Both are currently supported, AX55 will be supported longer.

I believe there are multiple versions of the AX55

I'm sure they are. I see AX55 V2 already. And there is AX55 Pro as well with 2.5GbE port.

It was just an example of $100 or under model. Asus has a bunch of similar AX58U hardware low cost models.

I'm sure they are. I see AX55 V2 already. And there is AX55 Pro as well with 2.5GbE port.

It was just an example of $100 or under model. Asus has a bunch of similar AX58U hardware low cost models.
I ordered an Archer AX55 Pro, is this for sure 2023?

All the firmware releases for this model are 2023 or 2024. It has 3x hardware versions already - V1, V2 and V2.6. In reality perhaps doesn't matter which one you get - most likely small component changes in manufacturing process. TP-Link does this often. When updating firmware watch for your version and you're good.

Last edited:
All the firmware releases for this model are 2023 or 2024. It has 3x hardware versions already - V1, V2 and V2.6. In reality perhaps doesn't matter which one you get - most likely small component changes in manufacturing process. TP-Link does this often. When updating firmware watch for your version and you're good.

Thank you, I’m thinking of leaving the asus rt-n66u in order to make it an access point for wifi in another part of the apartment. The last time I flashed it was about 5 years ago on Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware: 380.70. Is this normal firmware or should I choose some other one?

Asus RT-N66U has newer stock Asuswrt firmware from Jun 2020. You can use this one for AP Mode. You may not need this additional AP though. When you get the new router see what coverage it provides and then decide if you need the old router as AP or not. Keep it simple and you'll be happier.

You are too fast. Information on what else is available around this price may have generated more hardware ideas. This model was just an example of popular router around $100. There are perhaps more models available on your market, I don't know. Asus TUF Gaming AX3000 is very cheap in some countries, similar hardware model.

You are too fast. Information on what else is available around this price may have generated more hardware ideas. This model was just an example of popular router around $100. There are perhaps more models available on your market, I don't know. Asus TUF Gaming AX3000 is very cheap in some countries, similar hardware model.

it costs 11 dollars more, in principle I can cancel the previous order and complete this one, is the extra payment of 11 dollars worth it?

What country are you in and what store are you looking at, if comfortable sharing? Let me see what is there.

What country are you in and what store are you looking at, if comfortable sharing? Let me see what is there.
Unfortunately, this site is only in my language, it will be inconvenient for you to search on it. But in our country there are most routers in stock

I would perhaps pay $11 more for TUF Gaming AX3000 because of built-in Trend Micro* protection and 3rd party firmware availability. You can continue your journey with Asuswrt-Merlin with it, if interested. It is supported by GNUton's Asuswrt-Merlin official fork. If you see more value in this - perhaps a better choice. Up to you to decide.

* - TP-Link Archer AX55 Pro has similar HomeShield, but for Pro version you have to pay monthly subscription.

TUF-AX3000 V2 - GNUton and Fresh Tomato support
TUF-AX4200 and RT-AX59U - Openwrt support

TUF-AX3000 V2 - GNUton and Fresh Tomato support

One detail on FrestTomato for TUF-AX3000 V2:

1710462992539.png

I'm sorry, but this is not exactly FreshTomato. We already have well established 3rd party firmware with Asuswrt GUI. The reason I didn't even mention it.