What's new

asus rt-n66u replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello, the router is 9 years old and runs on Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware:380.70, I want to buy a replacement. In particular, I use a router to connect two computers to play online games where low latency and high performance are important.
This was worst router I owned and upgraded to ac86u>ax86upro.

I'm in a similar situation: used to use a RT-N66U with Merlin FW - it was great for my needs. But then:
  • Needed more coverage area in a bigger house and something that still had firmware updates (for compliance) so moved to a two-node Orbi mesh (wired backhaul)
  • Orbi was "ok", not super great, until it bricked itself one day
  • Replaced with a two device TP-Link Deco mesh (wired backhaul) and it's absolutely terrible (I'll spare most of those details)

So now I'm wondering what's the best upgrade to a current and in-support equivalent to the Asus RT-N66U would be? My needs are:
  1. Something current with new FW (and possibly updated Merlin FW) and security fixes for company compliance reasons.
  2. Fair amount of overage over three floors in a single, detached home. A powerful enough single unit in a central location (vs a mesh) would probably suffice.
  3. DHCP reservations - need to assign over 50 static IPs for various VMs (work in the I.T. industry) and IoT devices.
  4. Over 100 devices (peak) overall - many are VMs and IoT.
  5. NOT needed for gaming.
  6. Basic online streaming requirements.
  7. Will be connected behind an ISP modem with a 1.5 Gbps download.
  8. A fairly powerful amount of customization, logging, and UI (I was great with the Merlin FW when on the old RT-N66U) - the Deco, app only control is ridiculously dumbed down and frustrating to use.
  9. Available in Canada.

An updated version of the Asus RT-N66U would probably be ideal. But I'm confused as to what the logical upgrade path is as there are so many Asus models, I don't understand the Asus naming convention, and there's various bad reviews of specific models. Perhaps the Suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
Perhaps the Suggestions?

For 3-storey house with >100 devices you need something better than a single home AIO router. Most home routers support about 30 devices per band. With your many VMs and IoTs it will be frustrating experience all over again. You work in IT industry, perhaps have some networking knowledge and want more reliable network. Think about wired infrastructure first and pick business class solution. Ubiquiti UniFi and TP-Link Omada are good price/performance choices for home deployment. Archer/Deco are lower price oriented consumer products, Omada is different level. You may prefer one vendor for better compatibility.

You can go with x86 firewall and OPNsense/pfSense if you like. There are some lower priced Zyxel and Cisco APs if you prefer. All available in Canada. You may want 2.5GbE internal network for you computers or NAS. Switches with 2.5GbE ports are available with PoE option, x86 appliances with 2.5GbE ports are common now. You may want PoE cameras and VLAN segmentation at some point. Start building something upgradeable, expandable and with better support instead. Doesn't need to be up and running at 100% capacity all at once. It will be more expensive than home AIO router, but you know you have a good network.

Last edited:
For 3-storey house with >100 devices you need something better than a single home AIO router. Most home routers support about 30 devices per band. With your many VMs and IoTs it will be frustrating experience all over again. You work in IT industry, perhaps have some networking knowledge and want more reliable network. Think about wired infrastructure first and pick business class solution. Ubiquiti UniFi and TP-Link Omada are good price/performance choices for home deployment. ....
Point taken. And I've heard the Ubiquiti recommendation before.

Thanks!

Once you have wires you have options. Many SMB APs offer wireless mesh configuration as well, but you become more dependent on Wi-Fi environment and have to accept the retransmissions (same radio used for clients and backhaul, 1/2 throughput to the clients). Good option for an outdoor AP though when needed.