What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Time settings and local NTP-server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FireWire76

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

Last night I lost my WAN-connection due to some problem with my ISP. I made a router reboot and noticed that the router time settings reverted to January 1st 2007 and time was set to 00:00:00. Haven´t even thought about this before, but firstly why is there no way of manually set time and date?!?! And second, why isn´t it possible to set a local NTP-server? I typed in the IP(also tried my computers hostname) of my main computer(it is set up as a local NTP-server with Windows time running 24/7, to serve as server for all network devices that isn´t allowed to access the internet). But the router didn´t seem to be able to use this setting, at least as long as WAN was down.
When WAN came back, the router somehow updated time and date even though I had my computers host name typed in. Why isn´t that working when WAN is down?
Hope you can help out here Merlin, would be nice to be able to both use a local ntp-server for the router. And regarding manual adjustment of time/date, isn´t that something that should be standard in a router?

Best regards,
FireWire

The date will always revert to January 2001 after a reboot because the router has no realtime clock. You can manually set the time and date using the "date" command over telnet/ssh.

The ntpclient only runs when there is a WAN connection, that's why it won't be able to use a LAN NTP server. Since almost no one but businesses with a domain controller run their own NTP server, this isn't something worth the development effort. You can easily work around this by running ntpclient from a user script, having it manually connect with your LAN NTPD.

The date will always revert to January 2001 after a reboot because the router has no realtime clock. You can manually set the time and date using the "date" command over telnet/ssh.

The ntpclient only runs when there is a WAN connection, that's why it won't be able to use a LAN NTP server. Since almost no one but businesses with a domain controller run their own NTP server, this isn't something worth the development effort. You can easily work around this by running ntpclient from a user script, having it manually connect with your LAN NTPD.

Explains why the time is never saved after a reboot.

Thanks for the info.

- -

Last edited:

Can you help guide me on how to set up such script? Consider me being a 'dummy'. I don´t know anything about scripts. Would really appreciate your help.

//FireWire

Sorry for bumping an old thread but it's relevant to this thread.

I used ntpclient -h <ip of ntp server>, but the time came out 4 years and some change off. I know the NTP server is working ok because my Shibby RT-N66U updated perfect.

Tomato:
root@RT-N66U-VPN:/tmp/home/root# ntpc 10.0.1.10
Trying 10.0.1.10:

Time Updated: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 19:31:40 -0800 [+3s]

ASUSWRT-Merlin:
admin@RT-AC68U-BETA:/tmp/home/root# ntpclient -h 10.0.1.10
setup_receive:: bind...
setup_transmit:: connect...

send packet OK!
Recvfrom pack_len= 48, incoming= 1500
call udp_handle
UDP_handle: 48
admin@RT-AC68U-BETA:/tmp/home/root# date
Fri Jan 14 15:45:39 PST 2011

Can you help guide me on how to set up such script? Consider me being a 'dummy'. I don´t know anything about scripts. Would really appreciate your help.

//FireWire

1- You will need merlin firmware with enable sshd server.
2- See this merlin info on how to create scripts
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=62575&postcount=18
3- See this info as a pratical example on creating a real life script
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=62172&postcount=6
4- To easily deal with creating scripts, you will need under windows winscp (this allow to edit scripts with a window editor an easily change files in the router by using your router login name/password (create an scp connection to router ip lan address using your router web login info)
http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
5- An usb key connected to the router helps to allow saving things there, even if the router firmware if updated later (if file security concern is not a problem to you)

Hope this helps ;)