What's new

ASUS TUF Gaming AX4200 always broadcasting WiFi, even with radio turned off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 91178

Hello guys! This is driving me insane. I bought a new AX4200 and disabled all radio functionality, both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio.

I then realized that the router was still broadcasting a WiFi with a random name. Example: "42HCNXLDKW496M2495XRTFFN349N".

Everytime I enable the 2.4 or 5GHz WiFi this random WiFi disappears and comes back with a new random name when I disable the radio again.

I have not experienced this on any of my other ASUS routers. What is going on? A software bug in regards to Mesh functionality? I'm not using any Mesh-network functionality and the router in in the default router mode.

This has been reported before for other models. IIRC it's thought to be something to do with AiMesh support. In the following post he said he manged to solve it by turning off the "backhaul radio".

EDIT:
Later on in the same thread someone said that it appeared to be a side effect of enabling WPA3 on 2.4GHz.

Last edited:
It's on 5GHz too. It has to do with either mesh (active or not), or maybe it's something for monitoring DFS, or ...

I see it all the time on both bands from my neighbor's Eero set, occasionally from my Asus stuff (not "meshing").

@Ubuntu_enjoyer to add to @ColinTaylor here is another link

Also, I used this command in Ubuntu to see which channel that mystery SSID was broadcasting from. (That is, if your username reflects your Operating System.)
Bash:
nmcli dev wifi
Notes.
Bash:
man nmcli
Bash:
       nmcli dev wifi
           lists available Wi-Fi access points known to NetworkManager.

This has been reported before for other models. IIRC it's thought to be something to do with AiMesh support. In the following post he said he manged to solve it by turning off the "backhaul radio".

EDIT:
Later on in the same thread someone said that it appeared to be a side effect of enabling WPA3 on 2.4GHz.
I see, that's interesting! I have a few things to try there. Thank you!

@Ubuntu_enjoyer to add to @ColinTaylor here is another link

Also, I used this command in Ubuntu to see which channel that mystery SSID was broadcasting from. (That is, if your username reflects your Operating System.)
Bash:
nmcli dev wifi
Notes.
Bash:
man nmcli
Bash:
       nmcli dev wifi
           lists available Wi-Fi access points known to NetworkManager.
Thank you, yes. I will check that out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!