What's new

ASUS Unveils RT-BE88U WiFi 7 Dual-Band Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No, it can do about 350-400Mbps only with true SQM. It's RPi-like hardware with 1GB RAM only.
The clock rate bump of the BCM4916 might possibly push that closer to 500 Mbps, but that'd be in an ideal scenario.

@Tech9 Sorry, I think I was thinking for the RT-AX89X or another model for gigabit QOS.

@RMerlin, With flex QOS and disabling all the AI setting, I'm able to max out the BCM4912 on my gt-axe16000 to 600-700mbit.
Given the Mhz bump and a slightly newer CPU on the BE98, I think we may be able to get close to 1gig QOS with flex QOS (I hope).

1713363253938.png

1713362970778.png

Last edited:
With flex QOS and disabling all the AI setting, I'm able to max out the BCM4912 on my gt-axe16000 to 600-700mbit.
That`s not with Cake enabled. Cake disables NAT acceleration, so the BCM4912 caps at around 350-400 Mbps then.

or another model for gigabit QOS

Why you even bother with QoS on a Gigabit ISP? Don't tell me about online bufferbloat tests, please.

With flex QOS and disabling all the AI setting

FlexQoS is a script name. It uses Adaptive QoS - the same Trend Micro engine you believe you disabled.

@Tech9
I may not post very often, as I have only made a few posts since this account was made back in 2017, but I read this forum a lot.

I use FlexQoS because it allows me to define custom rules, of which I have 16. This enables me to classify my ports and traffic without the need to build or purchase a really expensive firewall/switch. Additionally, it requires minimal effort. When I said I disabled the "AI Stuff" I was referring to the AiProtection modules. They eat up a bit of the CPU's processing and I need that power for QOS.

I have always run a large number of servers across various categories, from game servers, LLMs, and remote access gaming VMs to file and SQL servers. Add in some P2P, Plex, and Jellyfin on top for the family. Some services have been for profit, and some just for random fun. With hosting LLM's being in my current internet, I'm starting to peak at 12 TB worth of traffic a month, without any of my services are taking a hit.

I would not say gigabit is considered that fast for a WAN in a modern day; It's not like eight years ago when you could rent gaming nodes at OVH with 1000/250 connections. As 2.5G ports have now become the standard on current AMD and Intel CPUs, you no longer need a dedicated chip or chipset for it multi gig ports (5 Gbit is a different story). Even in AUS, we are now pushing to make gigabit a standard for mid to high-tier plans in our next pricing structure for NBN (National Broadband Network). It's 1000/50, not 1000/1000 though. My my main WAN is 1000/400 connection, which is an enterprise plan for the extra upload speed. For what I run, I have made the most out of it.

My main router currently is the GT-AXE16000 with an RT-AC5300 as a mesh node. My second remote site uses two more RT-AC5000s on a Starlink connection, one as a router and another as a mesh node. They also use an OpenVPN site-to-site link for dockers and the file server back to the main network. The 5300s are getting up there in their age, I know, but a big thanks to @RMerlin for keeping the support going for them. And yes, it may be a good option to build a PFSense box at some point.

Anyway feel free to PM if you have any questions about my network.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!